We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Insurance renewal premium

BRYNIT
Resolved

Likes # 0

Do you check your Insurance premium renewal or just pay the amount asked.

To day I decided to have a closer look at the renewal notice for my Home/contents insurance. After doing a few calculations I realised it had been increased by 18.9%, this seamed a little higher than expected and being a penny pincher decided to compare prices on line with the usual search engines. I found several that were lower than my last years premium with a lower excess.

I phone the insurance company to quarry the price and was told prices had to be increases. After stating I could get a better deal from another company I go a new quote cheaper than last years? funny I thought to my self prices had gone up not down, I said I would think about it.

After a short break I decided to do something I don't usually do and that is to log onto my insurance companies site and re enter my details to request a new quote. Due to the 20% off for on line quotes it was just over 15% cheaper than my last years premium?

I'm still missing something. Renewal quote more expensive due to price increase but can be cheaper than the years before if you quarry it and cheaper still if you apply on line? It does pays to shop around.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Loyaly with insurance and other large organisations does not pay. As you did I always query renewal quotes even getting quotes within a month of the renewal date. I carefully check like for like in things like policies etc. to get a true picture. Earlier this year my ISP came up for renewal I phoned them and asked what they could offer to renew it was half the previous annual cost.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

romanby1 is right. I always use the comparison sites to get a new quote. This year I have a new policy with the same company as last year but £50 (about 25%) less than the renewal quote.

See MSE for advice. I don't usually go past part 2 of step 2 (though I may try Direct Line and/or Arriva if I can be bothered) but do read on - particularly the comments in step 4.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Not insuring buses - for Arriva read Aviva!!!

The same is true for both house/ contents and motor insurance.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I am not loyal. I usually cancel and then get quote from same company as a new customer ! Always works out cheaper and often a bonus gift such as Nectar points or Tesco points...There is no concession given by these companies for loyalty !

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I feel I should make a slight correction to my previous post. One policy I have never been able to find cheaper is my car insurer. Being a member of the Civil Service Motoring Association for 45 years their insurer has consistantly been cheaper than any other company.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Querying a renewal premium can be very revealing, especially if you have previously obtained an online quotation in respect of the same risk.

My wife had a similar experience to yours when she decided to query her car insurance renewal premium. After a good deal of discussion she managed to negotiate a reduction that was well worth the hassle. It seems to me that some insurers operate on the basis of 'let's give it a go - we can always reduce if the customer pushes hard enough'.

Like this post  
carver

Likes # 0

I'm afraid that loyalty is some thing I can not afford now, I used to be a loyal customer with Direct Line until about 3 years ago when my house and contents went up by 30% in one year.

I managed to get a quote for £200, a third of the price Direct line wanted, ever since then I shop around for all insurance and as long as I get the insurance I need at a cheaper price that is what I go for.

At the moment I am with the post office and my renewal has just arrived this morning and that has increased this year by 25% but if I use their web site I can get the same insurance as a new customer 30% cheaper effectively a 5% discount just for applying on line.

Your right FE it just seems that they think of a price and wait to see if you can't be bothered to argue about it.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Mouse is playing up.

Well as it seems insurance companies try to get as much money as possible out of there loyal customers, not even offering them the price they could get via the web. From now on I shall start to look closely all quotes before accepting in the future.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

A little side note about insurance renewals, at the beginning of November we had new windows and new front door fitted, little did I know that according to my insurance company because I had not notified them my insurance cover with them may not have been valid.

It seems that because the old door and windows had been wood construction and I had replaced them with UPVC products I had altered the basis on the cover they had given me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...