We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sports Direct - Staff training fobbed off?

STREETWORK

Likes # 0

My recent visit to Sports Direct leaves me wondering if I would go there again. not sure if others have had similar experiences but I found the staff in a store in South Wales to be most impolite, abrupt and not sure what to do when confronted with a problem.

The trainers I purchased from the store turned out to be too small for my son and I needed the bigger size. Took the trainers and reciept to the store and told that they did not have the bigger size. I could have a store voucher through, but not a refund.

I took the voucher and looked for a similar pair, sending my son pictures via email for approval. Found the same trainers as previously purchased and asked (out of curiosity) if they had them in size 7's. A pair of size 7's appeared, so what do they do when they go and look?

When and paid the same lady who told me that thye did not have them in a 7. No apology was given or reasonable excuse, just a shrug. I was then charged less for them (only one day later), but the voucher still had £5 on it. I asked for this in cash but was told they could only do vouchers.

I did find the staff less than curtious and clearly lacking in customer focus. Anyone one esle found this, or is it a one off???

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Look at the age of the staff - they're students, paid a pittance and are working during a very busy period when everyone else is off enjoying themselves.

I was in Home Bargains today, there were very long queues at the open tills, and a lady in front of me very politely asked the till operator if they could open another till, after being ignored three times she finally got this reply spat back "there's two open till there"

"Sorry, that wasn't the question, can you open another till to clear the queues"

"No we can't"

Well, luckily she was quickly proven wrong when the manager noticed the queues were blocking most of the aisles and opened two more tills...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The only thing that you can say about Sports Direct, is that it as bargains well worth considering or buying at certain times. Regarding the staff or administration, then that's perhaps another problem that requires re-addressing. On many occasions I and many other customer's have had to queue to pay for items, because only one or two out of four checkpoints have ever been opened, yet there appears to be plenty of staff looking at or stocking shelf areas. Its even worse when returns have to be investigated from the same checkpoint. And if you want any information, then its usually a case of forget it.

In one of our local Sports Direct stores, I had reason to complain to their head office about staff attitudes, poor flooring cover, and the use by one person of a large ladder. At the same time, I was rather concerned about aisles being blocked or partially blocked. Had there been an emergency, I would have hated to see what could have perhaps occurred. Total waste of time making a comment or complaint, and that appeared apparent by the reply as was eventually given.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I noticed this lack of service just the other day.

I was in my local supermarket and asked an assistant where I could find a particular item. She insisted on walking with me all the way to the other end of the store to locate it. Later that day I was in Sports Direct and asked for similar assistance and the young lady merely waived her hand in the general direction of where I needed to look. In the end I gave up looking and walked out.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I was rather concerned about aisles being blocked or partially blocked. Had there been an emergency, I would have hated to see what could have perhaps occurred."

Then you should have contacted your local fire safety officer through the fire brigade.

They do their best to look after us, but they can't cover everything, everywhere, and they do appreciate a little help with observations like this.

There are statutory minimum limits on the width of aisles, based on an estimate of the number of people rushing to get out in an emergency.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

No wonder internet shopping is preferable !

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Then you should have contacted your local fire safety officer through the fire brigade"

I fully agree, but when you consider that this was a large city centre, where thousands of people frequent every day, then surely its the fire services duty of care to inspect these premises on a fairly regular basis. Why should it be left to the general public to make a complaint?.

The same applies to Trading Standards and Health & Safety. Have you tried to get them to act on complaints, because if you have, you may well find that funding as been withdrawn from some of their activities, with the return comment that they are 'overloaded' with work, and staff cannot cope.

In the case I mentioned, I considered the direct approach to the company was a better solution, but I failed. Perhaps if the above mentioned 'watchdogs' were to prosecute instead of wrist slapping, then things might change for the better?.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"its the fire services duty of care to inspect these premises on a fairly regular basis"

Halley's comet appears on a fairly regular basis, every 75 years or so.

One person's regular is another person's infrequent.

The fire brigade do their best, but they can't be everywhere.

I looked after five campuses for ten years. None of them were routinely visited more tha twice in that ten years, some of them only once, but we had a very good fire brigade, who were always quick to respond to a request for help and advice.

Like this post
Ford Prefect 01

Likes # 0

Anyway, back to Sports Direct. I had something similar a few months back. I bought a pair of trainers, within 3 weeks the heel had collapsed. I took them back to the store to be told that they would not be replaced.

I then mentioned the sale of goods act and the rules of merchantable quality, and how the retailer was responsible. I was then told their company policy overruled the law.

It appears some things don't change.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

"its the fire services duty of care to inspect these premises on a fairly regular basis"

The introduction of the new Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 repealed the Fire Precautions Act 1971 and consequently the requirement for certification and all fire certificates are now obsolete. Also the fire safety inspection strategy by the fire service has also changed. They no longer inspect premises routinely. They now make an assessment as to how risky premises are and inspect those that are deemed the riskiest. However, if a premise suffers a fire or receive a fire safety complaint, the fire service will inspect as a matter of some urgency.

Like this post
STREETWORK

Likes # 0

Got this email back from them. Si i;ll give it a couple of weeks and try it out to see if the customer experience has improved, and the store safety...

Thank you for your email.

I was most distressed to hear of your dissatisfaction at the service received from our Newport store. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, as it provides us with first hand impressions of areas in which we need to improve our service and training.

Our relationship with our customers is usually excellent, so I am very concerned about your perception of the service you have received. I am going to conduct a thorough inquiry, bearing in mind all the points you have raised and I will take whatever action appropriate, to endeavour to ensure that we do not fail to offer the correct level of service to our customers at all times.

Please accept my apologies for the service you have received and thank you once again for bringing this to our attention.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes