We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

When 50% off is not really half price

cocteau48

Likes # 0

For a very long time Sainsbury have sold spindles of 100 Verbatim CD-R's for £19.99.

Give or take a pound or two this is round about the generally accepted RRP for these and a few months ago they had them on offer at half price,namely £9.99. I know because I bought one.

A few weeks ago I noticed that the full price had been hiked to an incredible £27.99.

I had a shrewd suspicion as to what was coming and sure enough they are in their post Xmas sale at half price .... £13.99.

There is no disputing that they are half the price at which Sainsbury had previously chosen to sell them .... but not really half the price which they should be sold at.

Caveat emptor,as they say,but it did get me wondering how many other retailers indulge themselves in these devious tactics when offering 50%,70% and 80% off.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

"but not really half the price which they should be sold at."

There's no price that they 'should' be sold at - a retailer is free to fix whatever selling price it likes. There's no deviousness involved, as long as the regulations on pricing reductions are observed.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

I would say that most if not all retailers do the same, it's been going on for years. If you look at items especially in the furniture shops that have up to 80% discount and just before the end of the sales they make further reductions. I think the usual practice now is to have a 300%+ mark up before reducing the item in the sale.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There's one way to stop this practice, and that is to go elsewhere, but considering that most stores are at it, then nothing will change. People can be very stupid when it comes to bargain buying, especially if they say that they lead very busy lives and do not have the time?.

Recently there was a program on television, I think it was Panorama,which revealed many 'suspect' practices. When you see two supposed Watchdogs telling the public that some practices are not in the public interest or are border line to offences being committed, yet they do nothing about it, then we can perhaps only think that we are doomed?.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

I have noticed this practice a lot a my local Sainsburys.Like the forum editor says it's not against the law.I do feel that it's not ethical when stores like Sainsbury try to convince us all that they are squeaky clean and have are best interest at heart.

Like this post
acfc

Likes # 0

Not a half price offer but still questionable advertising:-

Tesco were yesterday selling the basic I Pad 2 with £10 off and as everyone sells it at £399, including Tesco (I checked on the 22nd Dec as I was considering one for Xmas), that should be £389 ~ of course not it was still £399!

I also saw the recent TV program on the big supermarket practices and personally fail to understand how they are staying on the right side of the borderline, however I am even more vigilant than ever when checking ''deals''

Of course Tesco (or any large business) don't make nearly £4Billion from being your friend so take your calculator shopping and don't trust sale labels!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Of course Tesco (or any large business) don't make nearly £4Billion from being your friend"

Actually, these companies make big profits by selling things that millions of people need and/or want, and doing it efficiently.

I'm always puzzled when I see people apparently unable to understand how commerce works. If you don't want to buy something at the price being asked then don't - it's pretty simple really. Go to another shop, and see if you can do better.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

cocteau48 - regarding blank media ~ Aldi have stopped selling any blank discs on a daily basis - so said the assistant manager at my local store, yesterday. He said they will only do them as SPECIALS, every now and then.

So I went to ASDA for some blank CD-R Verbatim discs, and was surprised to see that they are now £8.(50 cake-spindle). A month ago they were £5.99.

ASDA's own brand CD-R equivalents were sold out. (not on shelves)

I will check out my Lidl store tomoro, for blank media.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

If you don't want to buy something at the price being asked then don't - it's pretty simple really

It sounds simple but it isn't it requires a knowledge of pricing in the overall market.The supermarkets rely that most people don't keep in eye on the price of all items on sale because you can't. They try very hard to convince us they are trustworthy on were they source there products,how much they pay producers for them & how they are produced.So why can't they have a clear policy on sale items?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Sales - What Sales? Considering the Sale notices are all around us all the time for all types of merchandise- I think we should all be 'blind' to such exhortations.

Shop for a some thing ,see a price- compare with else where - select the one that appeals - buy it - if after due consideration it is a price you can afford and is something you really need.

And having got it - shut your eyes to all other offers

• for tomorrow it will be cheaper elsewhere- even the original store.

Thats the way of life mu buddies

Happy New year and stuff the sales

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features