We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

royal mail contents of parcels gone missing

joypc

Likes # 0

i recently sent two phones to envirofone via special delivery; and the package arrived tampered with so they refused them. when my package was returned by royal mail it was empty. Now the post office want to pay the amount that envirofone would have offered and i am thinking that they should pay the second hand replacement value of the phone as their staff stole it. Has anyone have any similar experience? I would like to know what outcome I can expect.

Thanks Joy

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Dealing with Royal Mail can be a problem, especially if you are trying to make a claim or complaint. The value of the items is what would be considered fair, so I would suggest that you check out eBay, Google, Amazon and similar sites for a price comparison as to the worth of the items.

Take print-outs on anything that you find, because you might need it, as evidence for the claim.

Consumer Direct have a section offering advice about Royal Mail, but frankly I got very little help from them, when I wanted advice. I find that Royal Mail's own complaints procedure isn't all that brilliant in trying to resolve issues.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sent a laptop charger To my grand Daughter in Liverpool as she had forgotten to take it with her.

It never arrived and all you get from the PO was a claim form.

No good to her as she needed it for her University work.

So had to buy another one.It is not just the loss of the charger it is the £2.80 or thereabouts that they charge for delivering it that bothers me.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

buteman

Wait till you ask Royal Mail if they delivered the item to the name and address on the package, and they inform you that that cannot tell you, because of Data Protection ;O(

Like this post
alan2273

Likes # 0

Royal mail are a pain in the neck. They recently lost a letter that the council sent which cost me £5, on asking for compensation they sent me a reply that the letter was not addressed correctly, The council have standard addressed letters that go first class post and even showed me one of there self addressed envelopes, so I know it was addressed correctly. They also stated that if I did not agree with this adjudication, I could phone a 0900 number at 50p a minute to query it. So I would not hold your breath about getting anything out of Royal Mail.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"i am thinking that they should pay the second hand replacement value of the phone as their staff stole it."

You have no evidence with which to support your statement that Royal Mail staff stole the phone, so we'll set that aside.

As far as the compensation amount is concerned, you agreed to the conditions applying to the Special delivery service when you used it, and they state that you will be paid the market value of the item at the time it was lost, or £50 if you used the 9:00 am service, or £500 if you used the 'next day'service, whichever is the lower amount

In effect this means you'll get the market value of the phone,and Royal Mail will get this by contacting the people you were sending it to for sale - you'll get the amount envirofone would have offered.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

"you'll get the amount envirofone would have offered"

How can they give a accurate value when they have not seen the phone?

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

RM is outrageous! I recently bought a very expensive camera lens and had it send by Special next Day Delivery b4 1pm. I waited and by 12.50am I decided to track it. It said it had been delivered. I panicked thinking it had been delivered to the wrong address and some dishonest person ahd signed for it etc., I rang customer service and was told to wait for another hour or so and she was sure it would turn up. She said it seemed the driver and pre-scanned the item. I told her this was a fraudulent excercise and she agreed. It seems the procedure was designed to avoid customers making a claim for late delivery.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have just checked out the Evirofone website, and it appears that you can check the value of the item (their valuation?) via a on-line checker. Just tried three of our mobiles, and according to the checker, the mobiles submitted have no value at all. But they will happily recycle the mobiles for free, if we send them to a Freepost address!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...