We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Central Heater Boiler replacement

Terry Brown
Resolved

Likes # 0

My boiler is now 17 years old and while it is doing well, it will not last forever so I am looking for a new boiler.

If you had had a combi boiler fitted recently (last 2 years) could you give me the name & model of the boiler and satisfaction level from 1(poor) to 10 (Very Good)

Noise , efficienty , gas usuge (compare to previous boiler), servicing required and number of radiators (mine is 7)

Thank you

Terry

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I recently also had a problem with my approx. 15 year old oil fired boiler when the fan motor failed. I proved impossible to remove the motor from the burner unit so I had to buy and fit a new burner. I hasten to add I was a Building Services Maintainance Manager before retirement so was competant to fit the replacement unit. I stripped the old burner unit and store the parts in a drawer in my workshop. I have even kept the motor in case spares become unavailable in the future, I will get it rewound.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I note that Worcester Bosch (certainly one of the best combi manufacturers), are currently offering a free 5 year warranty, subject to an approved annual service (around £75)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Worcester Bosch have been offering this warranty for some time. It is good value and they contact annually to arrange the service by one of their engineers.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Thank you all

It is the Worchester Bosch, I have selected and it comes with a 7 year guarantee (Offer ends March 2012) subject to a annual service (£75).

Thank you

Terry

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

normally the Standard Warranty will last long enough to test prove the Boiler. Paying £75 a year for service is up to you but in my opinion and After fitting several Boilers when I was self Employed, You will have more than payed for the boiler when you have done after the end of 7 years £525

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I would have said a cost of £500 over a seven year period, for piece of mind, was a no-brainer. The cost to replace a condensing combi is likely to be close to £1500 (inc VAT), and if one has virtually any breakdown, out of guarantee, you'd be very lucky if it cost you less than £100. Modern boilers hold their efficiency reasonably well, if LOOKED AFTER, and it's worth a regular service, if only to check safety functions are in order!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I would have said a cost of £500 over a seven year period, for piece of mind, was a no-brainer".

I agree.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

As mentioned by TopCat, never throw away a PCB from a modern boiler, they can often be repaired, at minimal cost (compared to a new one). Often it's as simple as a 100mA fuse. One can't blame the service engineer; they're trained to trace a fault to the PCB, not to know what's actually wrong on the board. I'm not suggesting, waiting, in the cold, for a repair, but, if a repair is cheap, it's always good to have a spare. A lot of service engineers used to actually carry re-conditioned boards, but that's possibly illegal now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad