We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Central Heater Boiler replacement

Terry Brown
Resolved

Likes # 0

My boiler is now 17 years old and while it is doing well, it will not last forever so I am looking for a new boiler.

If you had had a combi boiler fitted recently (last 2 years) could you give me the name & model of the boiler and satisfaction level from 1(poor) to 10 (Very Good)

Noise , efficienty , gas usuge (compare to previous boiler), servicing required and number of radiators (mine is 7)

Thank you

Terry

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You will find that there is a wide range of combi boilers from which to choose, and the one you go for will to some extent be decided by the size of your house, and the hot water demand that the boiler will have to cope with. Hot water demand is of more concern when choosing a combi - almost any decent model will easily cope with 7 radiators on the heating side.

Leading makes are:- Vaillant, Worcester Bosch, Potterton and Baxi.

My personal choice would be either a Vaillant Ecotech Plus or a Worcester Bosch Greenstar. If you have two bathrooms, go for the Greenstar 42CDi

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

We had our old combi replaced after 23 years wonderful service with a new Worcester Bosch Combi.

This new one is very quiet and so far has given 20 months of effortless heating and hot water. You can get different sizes to meet different sized houses but we have 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and this keeps them all nice and warm. Also seems a bit cheaper to run than the old one although price comparisons are very difficult to work out in the current climate.

We did have one big problem but it was not down to the boiler per se. The new boiler required a newer type of flue and the installers broke a roof tile which we were not aware of until many months later when a damp patch appeared in an internal wall. Proving it was the installers fault was nigh impossible by then but the house insurance thankfully covered it and the subsequent damage. Combi are great but if you need a newer flue do check the roof afterwards if you can.

Like this post  
proudfoot

Likes # 0

One point to watch if you have a Condensing Boiler is the route and location of the drain pipe. My son who is a heating engineer was called out dozens of times to boilers that stopped working during last years cold spell. The drains were freezing up. If you can't run it to a drain pipe internally fit a thermostatically controlled trace heater to the drain pipe. These draw a small current and only run when the temperature drops to freezing point.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"If you can't run it to a drain pipe internally fit a thermostatically controlled trace heater to the drain pipe. These draw a small current and only run when the temperature drops to freezing point."

Good advice, but a point worth mentioning concerns connecting condense drains to internal drainage runs. Some building inspectors - at least in London - now expect to see such pipes fitted with a small trap when they leave the boiler, even though most condensing boilers already have an internal condensate trapping device.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

F.E. That was taken for granted.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Thanks all for your input, the boiler I have selected,with advice from 3 different installer (quotations) is a Worcester Bosch 28 junior - My current one is a Glowworm 24, while adequate, you now have to run the taps slower to get a decent hot water.

The drain pipe it will be connected to is the output from the sink / washing machine and with the cold weather last year we had no problems at all, however I wil ask before it is done about the trace heater.

I hope to have this done in late January/ early february 2012.

Terry

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

The trace heaterm will only be needed if the pipe is run outside.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

17 years old...........it's barely out of nappies!

Having to run the taps slower to get hot water is probably due to the secondary heat exchanger scaling up.

I prefer a system boiler with hot water tank and back up immersion heater rather than a combi.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

In responce to enquiries, I have short listed a company called 'Eco Heat' , Have you had any dealings with them, if so- any comments (good or bad)

Thank you

Terry

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Do not forget that with a Comby boiler you do need good water pressure, as its only as good as that. its no good if its low pressure or a big house like mine. not forgetting that if your electric goes off you only have cold water. with a cylinder you at least have that full of hot water. low pressure like no hot water at the sink or bath if you have more than one tap running

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback