We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dodgy Pricing ?

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Today I looked on the web to find a new, particular, loo seat (don't ask). I found a good deal at £54.47, the price had been reduced. I telephoned the firm to check on delivery times and made the order on the phone. Forgot to confirm the final price plus delivery so called back and was told that the actual price was £75.01. The chap confirmed the higher price but after a long search he finally found the lower figure and the order was changed.

Later today I checked the website again and found the price to be £75.01 with no hint of a reduction. I was called away for a few minutes and when I came back the price was now £67.82.I called the firm again and was told that there had been work taking place on their website but confirmed the lower price. I await the invoice with interest, what should I do if it is not the one confirmed on the phone?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Reject it as you are entitled to under the DSR.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Did you take a print-out of the on-line prices?.

Did you receive or ask for a confirmation email, on the price agreed on the telephone?.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Doing my grocery shopping last week on Tesco's website. Came across ready meals priced at £2 each or 2 for £5. Called Customer Services and got a £5 voucher by Email.

Had a problem with my Clubcard a few weeks ago and after speaking to them the chap on the phone insisted on re-issuing all of the ones I had spent towards my new Laptop. Just got my latest statement with £203 worth of new vouchers. Don't think I'll complain about that!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps to add further to this post regarding 'Dodgy Pricing'. I receive a number of 'trade' catalogues per month, and it is not unknown for the company's to send out two or more catalogues. One catalogue might contain the price for the month, and the other catalogue's might contain same/similar items on a 'special deal for the month'. On placing the order, its usually a case of just quoting the different sales code for the price or option you wish to buy at.

Dell computers use to offer quite a number of their 'same/similar' products at various prices, or with additional incentives.Either via direct or through their outlets. It was just ( or should have been) a case of using the right codes to take advantage of the offers being made. I stopped using Dell, when I tried to purchase a laptop with a discount code, for free delivery and extra free memory, and the salesperson would not accept the code "because it wasn't on their screen". Dell rang me back three times that day, to clinch some sort of deal, but by then the damage had been done!.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Thanks for all comments and advice. This order has been one of my "Senior Moments".

I did not get a copy of the lower price off the screen and when I returned to do so I found the multiple prices.

I have asked for an email confirmation of the order, the price and the delivery date. No reply as yet.

First time that I have made a mess of an order like this - hope it is the last.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Prices advertised on a web site are simply an offer to sell.

When you decide to purchase, you are inviting the seller to enter into a contract with you for that price, but no contract exists until or unless the seller provides you with a written confirmation of acceptance. The seller is under no legal obligation to sell at the advertised price.

If the price on the website changes after you have entered into a purchase contract there's nothing you can do about it, other than to appeal to the seller to make a goodwill gesture. You do, of course have the right to cancel the contract without penalty.

If you were given a verbal price over the phone, and agreed to buy at that price it may be the case that a contract existed at that point. It depends on what was said, and by whom.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

Based on your account of the events, it is most likely that an oral contract did exist between you and the company.

The problem is that unless you had a a witness, or had recorded the conversation, its your word against theirs. If you are unhappy about the price, as you have already been advised, you have the right to cancel without penalty.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

First piece of good news. I have been charged the correct,lower, price. Now for the delivery.

I have learned a lesson here - hope that I remember it.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"I have learned a lesson here - hope that I remember it".

With some of us who deal on a regular basis, with a number of companies that do these sort of offers or advertising, you tend to get accustomed to it. The rule of the game, is that you need to be as canny as them. Can save a fortune over time :O)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Always remember - "Print Screen", Word, Paste, Save!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite