We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ping test

sneaky4343

Likes # 0

when performing a ping test is it best to choose the location closer to my home to get best results?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A very good question, because in the main most ISP speed-tests in England go via London (Canary Wharf), Birmingham or Manchester, depending on which is the nearest point. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would most likely go via one of the main server's in that area.

What ping test are you using, is it http://www.pingtest.net which is highly recommended, but possibly routes via the nearest points to your location. Personally I use Jack Dinn's Auto Speed Test, which covers most exercises for speed and line tests.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Apology for passing on some wrong information. Pingtest.net will go via certain areas of your choosing, depending on time of day.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Closest is not necessarily best.

My closest site on http://www.speedtest.net/ is in Morecambe, but the fastest ping is normally in Manchester

Like this post
sneaky4343

Likes # 0

i only ask as i got around the region of 36 - 50 ping but download speeds drop from over 4 mb in the day to under 0.18 at night

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Most probably that your line is over-subscribed and it's just simply everyone competing to get bandwidth. Which ISP are you with?

Like this post
sneaky4343

Likes # 0

we're with talktalk

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

TalkTalk seem to be one of the more common ISPs for having contention ratio problems - probably because their prices are so cheap! It would be worth giving them a call just to check everything is right at their end, but I suspect that you will need to change ISP to see an improvement.

Like this post
sneaky4343

Likes # 0

it was ok till the last month as whole street having same problem and we all with seperate providers

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm with Talk Talk, along with most of the people in our area, as Talk Talk are the only LLU provider in our exchange, but have few issues with download rates.

I'm on a steady 10.5Mbps (tested regularly) and that's even though I'm at the end of a very long phone line, about 3.5km from the exchange

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I would phone them. I am on a "up to 8 Mbps" service with Pipex (Talk Talk). Iwas getting about 5 Mbps about 3 monts ago and it suddenly dropped to below 0.5. After the usual suggestions from them re test sockets etc they eventually admitted a fault at the LLU at the exchange. The service went up to about 9Mbps. There was another 1/2 day drop a couple of weeks ago but I e mailed them again and it went up to over 9 again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia