We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hewlett Packard at Curry's

exoticaman

Likes # 0

Bought a HP laptop from Curry's in July. Malfunctioned in Oct, Curry's said to return it to HP. HP said hard drive damaged so not covered by guarantee (buried in small print)... pay £200 for new hard drive or they will return it as is by today. What to do? Surely guarantee must cover hard drive?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at the Currys receipt/guarantee that you got with the machine. I certainly would not have sent it back to HP, as Currys suggested, but would have insisted they corrected the problem. A hard drive or motherboard etc. only lasting about three months shows it wasn't fit for purpose.

Wait for someone better in the know to reply as to how to go forward with this problem.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

In any case do not pay £200 for a hard drive replacement. It costs nowhere near that to buy a hard drive!

The law certainly states that it is the seller, and not the manufacturer, that is responsible for sorting any problems out. As to whether they can legitimately say that a hard drive failing after 3 months is acceptable I do not know for sure, but I strongly suspect not.

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

The retailer’s obligations

If there is an obvious fault with the item at any time within the first 6 months and it has not been caused by wear and tear or misuse, your first port of call must be the shop you bought it from. They have the responsibility to put the matter right, and should not evade this responsibility by referring you to the manufacturer in the context of a guarantee or warranty.

Click here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above your Claim is with Curry's not HP. and still is. if you paid by Credit Card you can get your money back through them if the seller does not fix it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Make a note of all correspondence etc so this can be used if needed

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My sister bought a brand new laptop from Argos last summer.The laptop developed a fault ( hard drive was faulty).She took the laptop back to Argos, and they dealt with it.Two weeks later she got her laptop back , fixed.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If the advice given by Currys was hearsay, and there is no written evidence of this. Then going direct to the manufacturer might limit your claim. Currys should have dealt with any problems, especially within the first six months of purchase. Thereafter, consumer law changes slightly.

Try http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk for latest advice

Like this post
exoticaman

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the advice, I will be taking it straight round to Currys as soon as HP return it.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You might want to read and view this http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2011/10/knowhow.html

There is a special email contact point (in the link)for informing higher level complaints at [email protected] It might pay to contact that email address and see what response you get, before seeking further help from the Currys branch you intend visiting?.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I bought an HP laptop 3yrs ago.A few weeks ago,it expired so I took it to a local repair shop and was told that "HP laptops have a design fault with Nvidia graphics chips" but I still asked that they try & repair it.The repair cost me £65 and lasted 36hrs before expiring again,so I googled HP+nvidia error & discovered that under the Sale of Goods act,the laptop has a SIX year warranty with Currys,not the manufacturer.I had to wait a few days before I could call into Currys(the store in town closed awhile back)& the Tech guys instore insisted that it was out of warranty and that I'd have to pay for a repair.I pointed out that the problem was a design fault & repairing was not an option and only a refund/replacement would be suitable(As detailed here)The Tech guy said I'd need get in touch with head office as he couldn't authorize a refund/replacement without their say so.I have printed out a letter to send to head office,but I'm going to wait until after xmas to send it as it states in the letter "formally giving you 7 days..." and I doubt they'll respond in the middle of xmas.I doubt if I'll get anywhere,but a stamp is cheaper than a failed repair,and if I succeed then I'll no longer own a very expensive doorstop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...