We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My first build, please review the parts I have selected

twisteds1gnal

Likes # 0

Hello everyone, new here so go easy now eh .

Been looking to build a new pc, been looking for a while now and came up with the following components:

• Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB

• Asus P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

• Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX)

• Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (WD1002FAEX)

• Sony Optiarc AD-7280S 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM

• Zalman Z9 Plus Black Tower Case

• Corsair TX 750W V2 PSU - 80plus Bronze Certified

Could you please tell me if this is a good list for my new pc?

I won't be overclocking but would like the option to in the future.

I am literally ready to buy the bits now, just need some re assurance as this is my first build.

Thanks a lot for any help,

Matt

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

1. Where is the Graphic card?

2. Why so much Ram, 8 GB is fine.( of course it's your choice to have 16 GB if you want)

3. The case is fine ,it can accommodate most of the high end cards.

4. If you have overclocking in mind then get this cooling fan click here it should come with a tube of thermal paste as well.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Certainly do not need 750W PSU a 500W is plenty.

In my opinion there are far better and cheaper cooling options than the Zalman.

As retep888™ quite rightly says 8GB ram is plenty,provided you are going to install the 64BIT version of Windows.

You do not state what your main use will be for this PC or what your budget is so recommending a GPU is difficult.

Overall a reasonable selection of components just need a little tweaking.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

That Corsair PSU is a good choice, you have to remember that PSU's age and what delivered 500W brand new will loose power, also by a decent one and it should last and have enough power in case you want to upgrade graphic card or even ad another one.

16GB of memory is a bit much even for gaming, as the others have pointed out as for cooling http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cpu-cooler-heatsink-roundup,review-32054.html and have a look at different ones.

I use this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-044-ZA and find it not only good at keeping temps down but is very quite.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback