We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What happens IF i buy a sofa & it dont fit?

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Hi guys can anyone tell me i am thinking of buying a new sofa x2 3 seaters there has been some issues in the past trying to get big sofa's in here so what would happen lets say if i ordered one from DFS and they couldnt get it in the house? would i be left with it.? Thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This thread belongs in Consumerwatch.

Transferring it from Speakers Corner now.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You should discuss this with the supplier, because most furniture units you see advertised (DFS etc) are made to order.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you are thinking of buying a leather one the backs come of most of them so that they can get in doors.

If in doubt and you are buying one ask them if it will go through your door and give them the measurements of the door and if it does not fit it would then be their responsibility for selling you it and I would imagine they would have to take it back.

Find out how long it is going to be to get delivered.Some firms take up to six weeks and a lot can happen in 6 weeks. so maybe best to give as small a deposit as possible or even better pay on delivery if you can.

I am sure there are other ways of safeguarding your payment but not sure what.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The fact that there have been problems with previous sofa deliveries should make you particularly aware of potential problems, and it seems to make sense to make some checks before you order anything.

If you place an order for a sofa that is to be made to order, and many are, as spuds has pointed out, you will be required to pay for it, even if it doesn't go through your doorway.

Most furniture delivery issues aren't because of narrow doorways, but are caused by having to turn the item around a corner immediately after a doorway. Talk to the supplier about this before you commit to an order.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

This is taken from T&C of a furniture company. Most companies would have the same or similar in there T&C.

1. Access We will do our best to place the goods in the desired location, provided there is reasonable access. It is your responsibility to ensure that the product can be delivered into you home and into their chosen location. It is essential therefore that you discuss any possible restrictions on access into your home so that we can perform a risk assessment with you. You should think in particular about vehicle access, lifts and tight stairs etc. If windows or doors need to be removed in order for access to be gained it is your responsibility to arrange this at your cost and risk.
Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I recall the days, when the upstairs bedroom windows had to be removed, when trying to put a large double bed or wardrobe in there.

Nowadays you only seem to hear about that sort of exercise, when someone obese is trying to be removed. And then it takes a host of rescue and medics to carry out the operation?.

Looking at the cider advertisement that is being shown recently on television, is perhaps an hint about sofa deliveries. Mines not a 'stripey' one?.

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

I remember that once we bought a sofa that the delivery people could not get in to the house. We had done our level best to measure the space etc. Luckily the shop agreed to take it back as long as we bought the next one from them, which we did (slightly smaller). One thing I will say is that of the two delivery people, at least one was a temp hired on the day from an agency. Previous sofas had had no problem being delivered. I think a lot of the time it is the experience of the delivery people that is important. the most recent sofa we got from a small independent shop. They visited the house, bringing a "mock up" in cardboard of the side of the sofa (can't describe it better than this) and this proved that the new sofa would come in, which it did. They used their own long serving delivery people and there were no problems, and the sofa was no smaller than the one the previous shop couldn't deliver.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone