We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband provider changed without my consent

mammak

Likes # 0

Hi, I have just discovered that my Broadband has been moved to another ISP without my consent. I have obviously still got an internet connection coming into my house, but as yet have no idea who from? My land line is still active with my previous ISP. I intend to phone Ofcom on Monday for some advice. But in the mean time is there anyway at all I might find out who this ISP is? The service is still coming through my Homehub. So it is not a dial-up connection. I have had no bills or letters from anyone. So I am really at a loss as what to do about this situation. Regards.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

How do you know that it has changed? You would need a password for a new ISP.

Like this post
mammak

Likes # 0

Only reason I found out about this is my original ISP asked for their equipment back! The connection I've been using is wireless, that has excepted my original wireless key (My Home Network had still been set as it was before). But I am about to plug in an Ethernet wire and delete the wireless connection, to see if this would shed any light as to whom it is that is providing my Broadband.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

This should tell you. Personally, I think it's more likely that your original ISP has messed up somewhere and still is providing your internet.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you can connect using the original login details your broadband service is still being provided by your original ISP.

Your router has to handshake with the ISP's equipment in your local telephone exchange, and the fact that it still does that means there has been no change.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If Virginmedia my connection on the Taskbar says Network 6 Internet Access.

Is that the sort of thing that you mean.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

D@ve

Your link proves very interesting. According to the information regarding the ISP I use, which is Talk Talk, it would appear that Pipex is the account provider, having been transferred from Tiscali. I have never had any dealings with Pipex, so I can only assume this is either wrong information, or Talk Talk are moving accounts again?.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

spuds,

Pipex and TalkTalk have merged into one company and will therefore be using each other's resources. Your IP address must belong to a subset that was previously reserved for Pipex.

www.pipex.co.uk

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July