We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

solor panels affecting broadband

sneaky4343

Likes # 0

i not sure if this the right place come to but my broadband seems to have low download speeds since solor panels have been put up in our street i was woundering if that would be affecting it and if theres any possible help on tips to stop the interference

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

I don't think solar panels will affect your broadband speed. I have recently had solar panels fitted on my roof and there has been no change in my broadband speed.

Like this post
sneaky4343

Likes # 0

i understand what u saying i thought it a bit odd myself but according to bt openreach there several people on our street reporting the same problem where there broadband keeps cutting out and downloads speeds dropping below 0.3mb somtimes

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

Hi,

Could be a noisy inverter associated with the panels. Take a walk past the house in question with a portable radio tuned to a clear spot on the MW band. See if the background noise comes up as you get closer.

BT does have a team that deals with RFI/EMC issues, so that may be an option if you think it's interference causing your problem.

Broadband lines can be affected by all sorts of external interference, faulty SM power supplies being a favourite.

In a previous life one of my jobs was to carry out BB interference investigations.

Retired now!

Rob.

Like this post
sneaky4343

Likes # 0

yer there is i just did what you said and there is a lot of noise as i got closer what can resolve this issue do you think

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Contact the House Holder.

It is illegal to run any Electronic Equipment that interferes with the Radio Spectrum

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

Hi,

I wouldn't approach the householder directly yet.

Report your poor BB speed to your ISP, and state you suspect that it is an interference problem caused by a newly installed solar panel array nearby.

This should eventually filter through to the appropriate BT team who can then verify the problem and take it up with the equipment owner. I can't tell you exactly what processes BT operates in this respect now as it is nearly five years since I was involved.

I'm assuming that you have no line fault present as a poorly balanced line can allow interference in.

In addition, if you are getting interference to radio reception at home you can refer the matter to the BBC - used to be Ofcom, but I think they've changed the way they do things now.

Hope that helps.

Rob.

Like this post
sneaky4343

Likes # 0

we,ve had bt out to put in new filter, phone box, you name it they done it but it still the same as far as contacting the house owner. its council property. also the ISP saying its not a fault of there,s as they have done several tests. just a quick question if it turned out to be the solor panels would optic fibre broadband help to solve the issue as its glass and not copper?

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

Has the line been tested and found to be fault free?

What was your line (sync) speed before, and what is it now? Note - line speed, not download speed.

If it is significantly slower than before then something has changed. The question is what?

OF would probably solve the issue, but it's not going to be an option.

Like this post
sneaky4343

Likes # 0

i not sure what the line speed is i dont know how test it as not sure how to find line speed only download and i would'nt know what it was before.when you say OP is going to be an option. how do you mean?

Like this post
sneaky4343

Likes # 0

OF rather?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses