We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Amazon Marketplace

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just bought an electrical appliance from Amazon Marketplace.

It came from Germany, and had the normal mainland two pin (Shuko) plug fitted, but a three pin UK adaptor was included.

Unfortunately this adaptor was a non-earthed type and while the plug would not fit the adaptor, it was capable of easy modification, and could have been dangerous.

I advised both Amazon and the supplier of this (telling them I did not require any action as I already had a number of the proper adaptors).

The German supplier replied thanking me very much, advising that they were checking the rest of their stock, and refunding me £5 for my trouble, which I had not expected.

Amazon, on the other hand, said it was nothing to do with them, as all Marketplace dealers are independent, which I think we all know anyway.

Question is, are they right, or do Amazon have any responsibility here?

After all, the whole transaction, from search to order to payment, took place via their website, as would any return had one been necessary.

My own view is that in the particular circumstances of the Amazon Marketplace they do have some responsibility for their traders, but I'd be interested to hear other views.

Please note I'm not seeking advice on what to do, the matter is over as far as I'm concerned, just asking for other opinions.

I know the FE has some considerable expertise in consumer law so hope he has time to reply!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I use Amazon MarketPlace on a daily basis, and when I have had a problem (very few on many transactions) Amazon have always come to the rescue, usually immediately.

The only slight concern that I had recently, was the terms and conditions of a Amazon 'Partner' company/seller on the Channel Isles, plus their delivery times. It appeared that the whole system dealt direct with the 'Partner' and not Amazon direct.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer