We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Buying Laptop: will HardDrive shortage up prices soon?

bazbazbaz

Likes # 0

Was going to buy a laptop for dad's birthday in the new year, should I be thinking about getting it sooner with the price of hard drives going up? I don't know what kind of stock Currys/PC World/etc carry and how soon it will affect prices, TIA.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

alan14: I'm not entirely sure what's evil about doing that. It sounds like a totally normal business practise for a Wholesaler

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

wee eddie

Nope.

I work for a wholesaler, and we, like many others in the business, couldn't get drives for love nor money for a few days because they'd been bought by people outside of the industry, then released gradually back to market, that's not wholesale, it's crime

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I ordered a 1Tb drive from Amazon in August for £54 - by the time they'd decided they were out of stock the price had doubled! I'm certainly waiting until the new year at least before re-ordering.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

alan14: All that means is that your Buyers were slow off the mark, when they failed to recognise the possible effect of the flooding.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

wee eddie

We didn't get chance.

Prices were driven up completely unnecessarily by speculators, who are becoming a serious problem in many markets.

Last year everyone's supermarket bill rose considerably because speculators drove the price of wheat artificially high, they also cause big spikes in the price of oil.

They order hundreds of gig tickets they don't want, simply to dump on the secondary market and make real fans pay well over the odds.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...