We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Buying Laptop: will HardDrive shortage up prices soon?

bazbazbaz

Likes # 0

Was going to buy a laptop for dad's birthday in the new year, should I be thinking about getting it sooner with the price of hard drives going up? I don't know what kind of stock Currys/PC World/etc carry and how soon it will affect prices, TIA.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Your too late. Many firms are restricting sale of bare hard drive to 1 per person and some sizes are out of stock, the manufacturers are using any stock to supply system manufactures. Prices of drives have gone up by 30% (if you can get the one you want). This is bound to affect system prices although with all the 'special' offers about it is hard to do a comparison.

Like this post
bazbazbaz

Likes # 0

thanks for your response, I was thinking more of how this will affect the price of computers/laptops after they've run down current stocks rather than the bare drive

Like this post
bazbazbaz

Likes # 0

sorry wiz-king - the answer was in there but have other things drawing my attention :oops:

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Maybe you could think of one with an SSD rather than an HDD? I don't know anything about their pricing though.

Like this post
bazbazbaz

Likes # 0

I failed to mentioned it's a magazine recommended laptop available right now at the price stated in the review.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

I must say I heard a similar story about HDD prices increasing due to the crisis in whereveritwas.

I notice 500GB drives from £48 and 1 TB drives from £89.99 (these are external USB drives) - these are PC world retail prices.

Is this expensive? I must admit I haven't been keeping my eye on the price over the last year or so, so I've no idea what they have been selling at.

How much did they get down to?

Cheers

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

OK thanks - I found the article with a few answers to my question.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I can tell you that there was an initial panic and prices spiked severely, then they settled, and have now dropped a little from their peak, but supplies are still severely limited.

Figures suggest that production for this quarter is down by around 70m drives, but I'm not sure what this means as a percentage.

From the suppliers I deal with I know that Dell have slapped a surcharge on some consumer kit, but is trying to protect prices for the large enterprise customers who spend huge amounts.

Bare drive availability is pretty poor at the moment, and we can only buy a full box of drives (24) at a time, and prices are only guaranteed for a week rather than a month.

Any items in stock though should not be affected, as they would have been bought before the shortages occurred, although some suppliers are taking the mickey...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This seems to be another one of those confusing stories. I was reading in a computer magazine the other week, when a company spokesperson whose company supplies many computer manufacturers's with components like hard-drives etc, that the 'crisis' as been self imposed, because while there is a reduction in manufacturing from some plants, its not as bad as first thought?.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

Some plants had to shut down completely - one Western Digital plant was under 10 feet of water, but other plants could take up some, but not all, of the slack. Overall product is down by the 70m figure I quoted above.

Undoubtedly though, it seems that much of the increase in price was down to panic buying, and some evil people buying up huge numbers of drives just to put them back on the market at even higher prices.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features