We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Burning question?

Muergo

Likes # 0

I have been using Ashampoo Burning Studio 2010 for a year or so having downloaded it free.

Are the later versions any better, I can't see any particular improvements and I have been having difficulty with finishing recordings. It goes through both procedures of reading and writing and only when I get to the end does it say that it failed.

Is there a better burning program, I've tried Nero but it isn't any better, and the Windows burner is poorer still.

I have tried all discs, DVD plus and minus and also double layer.

I'm using Verbatim and Sony discs but will buy some Toyo Y???... (forgotten) discs as they are said to be the best.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

My daughter has just read your post and tells me she finds thisprogram is very good. It is free and covers all current Windows OS. TC.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would also recommend TopCat's daughter's choice.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Thank you very much, I shall download now and run some discs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yep, ImgBurn is good (and free)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This belongs in Consumerwatch.

Transferring it now.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

As you are switching my posts around all over the place why not put this in Digital Home, looks like it's better there

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Just discovered major snag with ImgBurn, it won't copy "on the fly", you have to download on hard disc and upload to burner, may not be a problem for some applications but for a long film it will double the time taken and use (temporarily) a big chunk of hard dribve

Haven't found anything better than Ashampoo yet, probably have to buy their full suite instead of using the freebie.

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

According to videohelp.com Imgburn will burn - 'on the fly' although as I don't use it myself I can't verify this information.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

It doesn't according to its creator, he has put a stickie on his forum saying so and not to keep asking him!!

Seems as though it's a sore point with many users.

I have uninstalled it now and trying other alternatives but seems as though Ashampoo has the edge on this aspect.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

If different software is all having the same problem I'd be inclined to look at something else, namely the DVD writer.

My last laptop used to be quite adept at making coasters, tried several different software packages and a number of CD brands before I realised the problem, the drive didn't support over-burn, so could only record 74 minutes on a CD - one firmware update later and I never had another problem...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014