We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Choosing a PSU

wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been gradually upgrading my 7 year old computer, and now I am practically re-building it with all new hardware. I have a new i7 processor and motherboard but haven't yet put it in as I want a new PSU with a higher wattage first (as mine is bare minimum for what is already in.)

I know not to scimp out on a PSU, so was hping to get some advice first. I have seen this one but I'm not sure if it is worth the risk at the price. From the specs I think it might be okay, but looking at the motherboard specs, it says it's a Mirco ATX where the PSU says it's just ATX.

Would this be okay, or should I look for a more well know model, like a Corsair?

Thanks for looking

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Just noticed bit dated all reviewed in 2008 soz

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

How about this Antec True power 650w

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

When some one is advertising a 650W PSU for £15 (excluding VAT) they have to cut corners and buy cheap components.

Have a look here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,review-32182.html and here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/power-supply-psu-review,review-32270.html

Theres plenty more articles on the same site about PSU's

Theres no point trying to save a few pounds on what is basically the heart of you PC,

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

My own personal view is one that the bulk computer manufacturer's might take, and that is use a PSU that's fit for the purpose and is expected to provide satisfactory long term service at a reasonable price.

Reasonable price is the keyword, because I have seen people requesting very expensive PSU when are far more cheaper unit will do the job.

In the computers that I work with, when a PSU requires changing I usually go for the same/similar unit that was originally fitted, perhaps suggesting an upgrade in wattage, say from 300w to 500w, because the price isn't all that much difference on standard units. The PSU's that I use, average out at about £15.00 each, and in a three year plus period, I have never had a failure. In fact I have one computer that is about 10 years old, and still running on the same original cheap mass produced 300w PSU.

If you go to Amazon or Ebuyer, you might find some actual user reviews on the products advertised. This can be a good indicator as to choice. Failing that, there are many reviews on the internet for PSU's, which a simple search will reveal. eBay have a number of sellers dealing in brand new PSU's at reasonable prices, but I tend to find that most of the sellers have virtually no knowledge on the product that they sell.

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Spuds; I was infact looking at my PSU and considering buying a close match with higher wattage as you said, but I would be using this pc pretty much constantly when it's all done, and the ventilation on my current one probably wouldn't cope all too well.

Carver; Thanks for the links, I had done a bit of looking up before, but those articals were pretty useful, thanks. I knew lighter a lighter PSU would have been risky, but being online I can't really tell, and that's a reason I asked, so I guess I will be bypassing this one now.

ICF; Thanks for the links, that psu is similar to a few I had been looking at since, I just couldnt find reviews on some of them, so I guess I'll be ordering that one.

Thank you all for your help

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

"I have a new i7 processor and motherboard but haven't yet put it in as I want a new PSU with a higher wattage first (as mine is bare minimum for what is already in.)"

"From the specs I think it might be okay, but looking at the motherboard specs, it says it's a Mirco ATX where the PSU says it's just ATX."

You haven't posted which i7 CPU & what Motherboard model you've got, if it's only a micro ATX & you don't intend to use an external graphic card then any PSU with more than 500W is an overkill since a graphic card in most cases is the most power consuming component.

Don't be so focused on the power supply's wattage. Meeting the minimum +12 Volt continuous current rating is much more important because if it is not met the CPU and graphics card won't function properly no matter how high the power supply's wattage is.

If you use the PC for general purposes only i.e. no gaming then this PSU from Corsair will serve you nicely click here

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room