We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which Computer Monitor?

PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hello folks, I really hope you can help me with your (as ever) good advice.

I have a budget of £150 to buy a new computer monitor, but have no idea where to start or what is even a good make (the monitor I have which is on its way out is a Samtron? and came with my Time Computer so you know how old it is).

I don't play games on it and the only thing I really use it for (other than surfing the internet) is editing photos.

What should I be looking for?

Should I go for a specific make?

Should it be a CRT or LCD or TFT?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As your PC is a tad on the old side then you need to check if, whichever monitor you choose, that it has a VGA port.

CRT I wouldn't choose. I've always used AOC monitors.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Oops, sorry I wasn't too clear in my post - our actual pc is only a few years old - but our monitor is from the very first pc we had. Our tower unit does have the VGA port that you mention.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Select a monitor that is compatible with your PC's output or if you have a GPU card then the card's output.

Have a look here , possibly you will have a HDMI or most probably a DVI-D port.

Find one compatible with the ports and most importantly, compatible with your pocket? Buy from some reputable retailers so if you do get a problem you can return and get a replacement. Worth the extra pennies.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should have added that as well as a VGA port your card should have a DVI-D port. Note that if you buy a monitor using the DVI-D port (better quality) check if it comes with a DVI-D cable. That can come as extra expense.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

This one looks ok for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-24-inch-VH242H-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B001TH8OYW/ref=sr110?ie=UTF8&qid=1321787261&sr=8-10

Check out Amazon and E-buyer as they give free delivery.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks for your advice folks :)

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

There are several different technologies when it comes to LCD screens. The cheapest and most common is a TN panel which offers the worst viewing angles and poor colour reproduction. There is another type called IPS panels which are far superior and usually very expensive, although LG have recently released one for a very reasonable price - LG IPS235V. For someone that edits photo, going for an IPS panel is a no-brainer!

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks D@ve - some more advice given :)

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi everyone - had a look at the monitors you've kindly provided me links to - wondering if you know of any that are 19" as just measured the corner I have and can't get more than a 20" one :)

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Ok so we found this one as it has a higher resolution than most of the others and mentions editing photos - is it going to be ok?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/aoc-2036sa-20-widescreen-lcd-monitor-04050682-pdt.html

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...