We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

100Meg Broadband been installed later today.

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Good morning, ive had some issues in the past with Virgin Media not with their speeds but with what they advertise, anyway thats in the past and today i am getting an upgrade from the 50Meg package to the super fast 100Meg, there is only £2.50 the difference PW so i have decided to go ahead with the upgrade,

It seems VM are the only ISP that offer a really decent speed? i noticed a story that BT have installed Fibre optics to most of their customers BUT they have had the fibre optics installed right to the Exchanges and from the exchanges installed copper cabling to customers homes instead of going the extra mile and using fibre optics all the way?? why would they do that? that has affected the deliverable speed into their customers homes hugely...

& this story is in some ways good news to some of you that are not happy with your Broadband suppliers:

Changes to ISP

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

beeuuem thats ok i know u wasnt, thanks for explaining anyway, ive just done a speed test and got this the ping is a tad high but it will be lower tomorrow, Speed Here

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

Autoschediastic Now you're just showing off (:-))

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

beeuuem hehe its slighty faster now its settled down :-)

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

After using VM's 100 MegBit service for many months & before that the 50 service I have to say unless you have used a really fast connection you maybe aren't really in a position to judge. It is addictive & I would hate to revert to 50 let alone something lower. I’m looking forward to trialling 250 MegBit in my area. I get a pretty constant 13 meg/second down which equates to around 96-97 most of the time & 8-9 up.

It's well worth fine tuning with attenuators (a variable attenuator is ideal or buy a box of different DB’s) to get the power level as near 0 as you can as this does make a massive difference. I repair & Setup quite a few PC's & it's so effortless.

Of course it is more £'s but having given up alcohol I spend far less on my internet than I ever did calling at the local pub once a week. Whatever floats your boat of course. If you are going for 100 it's also worth picking a up a 1 GIG network card (under a tenner) as the bog standard 100 can slow things down. I'm delighted with VM having used them for maybe 3 years or so & it really is worth each & every penny IMHO.

Like this post
Migwell

Likes # 0

Wow, that makes my 1.4 mg seem as though it's going backwards!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July