We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

100Meg Broadband been installed later today.

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Good morning, ive had some issues in the past with Virgin Media not with their speeds but with what they advertise, anyway thats in the past and today i am getting an upgrade from the 50Meg package to the super fast 100Meg, there is only £2.50 the difference PW so i have decided to go ahead with the upgrade,

It seems VM are the only ISP that offer a really decent speed? i noticed a story that BT have installed Fibre optics to most of their customers BUT they have had the fibre optics installed right to the Exchanges and from the exchanges installed copper cabling to customers homes instead of going the extra mile and using fibre optics all the way?? why would they do that? that has affected the deliverable speed into their customers homes hugely...

& this story is in some ways good news to some of you that are not happy with your Broadband suppliers:

Changes to ISP

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

"It seems VM are the only ISP that offer a really decent speed" It depends on what you define as a 'really decent speed'. I'm on an 'up to 20 Mb ' BB package and get a steady 18 Mb with line rental and anytime calls for half the price of the equivalent VM package with 100Mb BB. The question is - do I really need 100Mb for twice the price my existing ISP charges?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Wouldn't mind somewhere near the 8 meg they quote (BT).

Never had more than 6 (currently 4, and it's hardly a peak time).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

But at one time, not so long ago, we managed with a 14kb modem. I wonder what the norm that we simply just must have will be in another 10 years...?

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

beeuuem on the link i also posted there is a graph on the right hand side which shows ISP's advertised speed and actual speeds achievable, from what i can see VM seem to be the only one thats advertising and delivering an acceptable speed,

* BT's "up to" 20Mbps - average 7.3 - 9.1Mbps
* Plusnet's "up to" 20Mbps - average 6.6 - 8.4Mbps
* Sky's "up to" 20Mbps - 7.2 - 8.1Mbps
* TalkTalk's "up to" 24Mbps - 7 - 8.5Mbps
* Virgin Media's "up to" 20Mbps - 16.4 - 18.1Mbps......!!!!
* Orange's "up to" 20Mbps - 6.6 - 7.6Mbps
* 02/Be's "up to" 24Mbps - 10 - 11.5Mbps

BTW ive got family in South America so i would benefit from the 100Meg via Skype and uploading speeds sending files, the price was only £2.50 per week the difference hence why i decided its simply a good deal..

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

This makes interesting reading re drop in speed at certain times of day http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15742055

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

BT are installing fibre to local cabinets from their exchanges. The last section will use existing copper cables. The laying of fibre caused massive upheaval to traffic and was very expensive. Why would we want to go through that again? We are stuck with the consequence of the right to lay fibre being sold off to private companies by Thatcher. At least BT will provide an element of competition with their upgraded system, BT Infinity.

In my view, utilities should be publicly owned. Privatisation has brought no benefit through supposed competition and we are at the mercy of foreign compnies for supply and future enhancement of electricity and gas supplies, for example. In order to get new nuclear power stations built, we will have to meet whatever demands are made in terms of subsidies.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

There has been a massive investment by BT in Northern Ireland of FTTC, I have had Infinity for over a year now. There was no disuption to traffic of any description as the fibre optic cables were pulled through existing trunking, only majot work was the new green cabinets on the footpath.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Al94

The major disruption to traffic was when fibre was installed by NTL et al. I believe that there is minimal disruption, if any, in comparison as a result of BT installing FTTC. I am sorry if I did not make that clear.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

BTW ive got family in South America so i would benefit from the 100Meg via Skype and uploading speeds sending files,

Skype works fine over a 2meg link sending files will depend on the speed of the recipient

I manage to work from home, carry out IP calls, download files all at the same time on a 12meg link.

I seriously doubt you'll notice any difference with your extra capacity unless you've got dozens of PCs strung off the link...

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

Autoschediastic I wasn't criticising your choice - some of us don't have the cable(VM) option. I don't, even though I live, quite literally. in the centre of Edinburgh. On the other hand my O2 "up to 20 Mb" gives me a constant, stable, 18 Mb which is adequate for my needs. In part this is through optimising the performance of the router, on the basic settings the D/L speed is only some 15Mb. But if 100 Mb were to become available I might be tempted!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......