We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Location External Hard Drives - PC

PastyFlyer

Likes # 0

I have three external hard drives via suitable USB to my PC. I have been advised by a friend that I should not locate these on a shelf next to each other because of potential interactional damage. Any advice please ?

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I have 3 one on top of the other next to my PC and 2 side by side on a shelf above - never had any problems. I'll be interested to see any other replies.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I would suggest that this is a myth.

Putting aside external drives just consider internal drives for a moment. Most of my computers have had at least two and sometimes three. Where are they - fitted one above the other by design without any problems so why should it be any different with external drives? Like Marvin42 now have external drives stacked up together with no ill effects.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Pine Man - That was my thought but I'm happy for the confirmation.

Like this post
PastyFlyer

Likes # 0

Thanks Martin42 and Pine Man, you have reassured me. My den rehash can now be completed. Thyanks for speedy responses Cheers PastyFlyer

Like this post
daveeb

Likes # 0

Hi pastyflyer, as confirmed above, having the drives next to each other shouldn't be a problem unless they're in a very confined/warm space which could then lead to overheating problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...