We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tracing a website.

Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

Is it possible to trace where a website originates ie for which laws they have to follow? I am interested in knowing if Angloinfo for Brittany is actually based in the UK. http://brittany.angloinfo.com/

BE

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Doing a few quick checks, it would appear that this name is available in the UK, except for .com, which is already registered, but it is not showing on the Nominet listing?.

I find that Nominet are very good, so it might perhaps pay to contact then for advice?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The site you mention is hosted on a server on the East coast of America, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean much - the domain name's IP address is in Dublin.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

Nominet manages all .uk domain names - it has nothing to do with the .com high level.

The only variant of the name that is currently available for registration is: brittany.angloinfo.name

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Broadly speaking

a web site must conform to the legislation applying in the country in which its host server is located. The problem is, different laws may apply in some areas of internet activity, dependent on several factors:-

1. The laws of the country in which a site user lives
  2. The laws that apply in the country where the server hosting the website is located.
  3. The laws of the country which apply to the person who may transact via the site.

As you can see, things are far from simple, and in many cases there is a conflict where legislation is concerned.

Do you have a specific concern about the site you've mentioned?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The url you give is from a link on the parent page http://www.angloinfo.com/

If you check on whois.domaintools.com/ it gives the name, address and phone number of the Registrant (near Oxford UK)

Like this post
Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

FE, basically folk are asking for secondhand car seats for children and on three occasions I have pointed out that they (the seats) have a limited shelf life. Also I pointed out that they could have been in an accident so saving a few quid over a child's life is short sighted. Every time my posts have been delelted and even emails to the moderators go unanswered. I just wondered if they are UK based perhaps someone like ROSPA could point out the dangers to them.

BE

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try this from the helproom might be what you are looking for.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4094961/vaguely-interesting/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED