We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What I need from a netbook...

design_ben

Likes # 0

Dear PC advisor people,

I will on the outset say I am not an expert on such things, and any advice would be great. I am a designer, and frequently use a lot of processor and graphics card intensive programs when at my desktop, such as photoshop and 3D software for rendering graphics. However, when I am out and about and on the move, I want a really small, diddy computer ( like a netbook! The samsung N145 or something similar) so I can do some browsing, check emails etc.

Sounds like I should just buy a netbook right? WELL, It would be really good to just have a couple of the really basic pieces of software I use, namely Google Sketchup, and AutoCad. I wouldn't be doing anything really snazzy in these programs, just basic stuff. I have seen videos on the web of guys playing crazy HD games on 10.1" netbooks, but I have also heard horror stories of things like AutoCad not even fitting onto the screen because of the resolution.

I want a nice netbook that has got enough screen, ram and processor to smoothly run some really basic 3D modelling software and AutoCad. Would the Samsung N145 be enough? As you may be able to tell, I have somewhat taken a fancy to it.

Regards,

Frustrated designer wanting small but good (and cheap!?) computer for the studio.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Would the Samsung N145 be enough?"

In a word, no.

If you are set on buying a Netbook, go for the Toshiba NB550D

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Agree. You need a decent spec laptop which will have the processing power, memory and screen size you will need for these intensive tasks.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Netbooks are generally limited to 1024 x 600 resolution, I think you need to take a step up to a small laptop to get a usable resolution for autocad

A ThinkPad E325 is probably better suited to your requirements...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features