We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin media and Sky

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

On Virgin media (TV) they are showing an option for sky's equivalent of catch up TV, suggesting that as part of the XL package is is free, however if you want the 'Extra' service you have to sign up for the SKY movie or Sports package at an extra £18 per month.

I for one am not taking it up-- Would you.

Terry

Like this post
Menzie

Likes # 0

I stopped subscribing to paid TV earlier this year when my last contract expired. I found after owning cable for a few months that all I was watching were repeats or the free channels any way.

What I hated about Virgin was it seemed that there was a price rise every other day I got my bill and whenever I called for an explanation I didn't get a very good one from the agent on the other end.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The more channels the more crap and the more adverts.

I only have the freeview package with Virginmedia which costs nil and is worth just about that.

My Sister in Law has the Large package and it has so many crap programs that you would never want to watch them.

The biggest con is charging you for line rental which costs just as much without it.

If using the virgin phone the prices are sky high if you use it outside your package deal.

The Plus's

Telephone stopped working and they had it sorted within 3 days.

Broadband was not working properly and they had it going again within 45 minutes.

Television was freezing and they had that going within 15 minutes.

All in all their service was first class just grudge paying £14 a month for line rental.I very seldom use the phone so working it out it works in at £56 a quarter for sitting there not getting used.And almost identicle price without the phone.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Switched from Sky to Virgin recently. It's cheaper and reliable.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Switched from Sky to Virgin recently"

Chance would be a fine thing.

It's Sky or nothing in rural areas.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

morddwyd, what about FreeSat? using either the Skybox or any other Sat. box. I'm using a Humax Foxsat (very pleased with it) - no subscriptions.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

lotvic

Very little difference from Freeview, and simply doesn't show the channels we watch.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

morddwyd, Oh well, if you want to watch subscription channels then obviously you do have to pay for them.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

That's why they're called subscription channels!

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Buteman

You say about the Virgin Telephone prices, I agree they are too high so I use the alternative.

I pay standard rental to Virgin, but I use a box from First Telecom to route my calls through them. The prices are a fraction of Virgin's prices, see the link for Virgin lines http://www.firsttelecom.com/other-products/cable-saver .As we use the telephone quite a lot (about 150 calls a month),it works out considerable saving. There is no pre-dial, just use the phone as normal.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow