We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Well they didn't last long!!

canarieslover
Resolved

Likes # 0

Recession must be still biting hard when an established American outlet can't make it a success over here. Best Buy I never found them particularly competitive on price except when looking for a tumble drier last year. They managed to beat everybody else on price and their delivery men were really first class.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Are they not owned and operated by Carphone Warehouse?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

indeed Carphone owned the UK side of the American company Garry Dunstone in the Sunday Times announced the dumping there of

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I think you will see a few others joining them after the new year.

A lot of firms hoping the Xmas rush will get them out of trouble but if they are in trouble now they have little chance of survival.

Most of my family buy on line now because it is cheaper. Having to pay high parking charges[ if you can get somewhere to park] is putting a lot of folk off from using town center shopping, You can sit in the comfort of your own home and shop from there.

As usual it will get worse before it gets better,Somehow I think this is going to take a bit longer than normal because of the state the world is in just now.

Like this post  
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Having a branch locally I thought that it would be a good thing as they would be competing with PC World, especially as they were a successful American chain coming over here. A bit of a disappointment when I could see that they weren't going to be a market leader but still a shame that they have called it a day so soon.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

A company that was launched at the start of the biggest recession in living memory was never going to last.

I saw their adverts, but the prices were not particularly competitive, and their closest store is over 40 miles away, so no good for me...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I've never heard of them, but that might be a reflection on me, rather than their advertising manager!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I had never heard of them either until reading the story in The Times this morning.

However......

I've finished all my festive shopping, the last parcel arrived this morning. All arrived within 72 hours of order being placed.

No crowds, no pushing, no spending time frantically searching for nonexistant parking spaces.

"James, light the fire and open a bottle of the decent red, there's a good chap!"

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Unless you're doing the pudding, in which case it's open the fire and light a bottle of the cheap brandy!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Just the one, mind...just the one!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen