We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

is there a recession on or not as shops dont want to pricematch internet

frankie

Likes # 0

went into 2 shops today for a camera,jessops and john lewis,i know i can get camera online at amazon brand new for £215,john lewis was £229 asked do you price match they said no as did jessops £249,try to support your local high street shops and they dont want your monies,hmmm,hence will be shopping online for all pressies,

Like this post
daisy2bell

Likes # 0

Shops do have overheads (rent, business rates, staff etc) that they have to cover. I would rather support a good local shop than a large national, unless of course the price difference is huge.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

With no offence to my local traders, I shopped online last Xmas and saved an absolute fortune, so thats what we'll be doing again this year. Not only did we save on the cost of the items themselves, but everything apart from one was delivered free. It works for me!

Like this post
frankie

Likes # 0

i would love to support my local traders,but we are all suffering a recession,i dont wont to see boarded up shops so always give them the choice,not only that i would not head for them again as if i see a bargain online and they will not match, where do you go but online,and not head for that retailer again who refused once before,i,m not talking smaller shops who i would and do support ie veg,bakers etc who i do support

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"try to support your local high street shops and they dont want your monies"

If you knew anything about the retail business you would understand why a high-street shop, with all its overheads, can't possibly survive if it pursues a policy of price-matching with online sellers.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Amazon pay business rates on how many, perhaps up to a dozen, premises in the UK?

Jessops, I suspect, pay considerably more!

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 1

I saved a fortune last year by not buying any Christmas presents.

Like this post
daisy2bell

Likes # 0

The problem here is, that if we all shop online, the shops will close. Many people will lose their jobs. They in turn won't be buying things, and in the end internet retailers will see their trade slide and more job loses. A downward spiral.Which all but the very rich will lose big time.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A few years ago we purchased a television from our local John Lewis store, and that transaction was very interesting. The model that we were interested in, was also on sale at Argos on-line and in-store at the same far more discounted price. Because we could prove that the item was available at the local Argos stores (we have a number in the area), John Lewis agreed to price-match. Argos was offering us a 6 months interest free payment plan on their store card (and still do offer 3/6/9/12 months interest free on many purchases) , and John Lewis stated that they would offer 6 months interest free if we took out one of their store cards.

We took out the John Lewis Partnership card, not because it offered a once only interest free payment plan, but it came with the added incentive of a 5 year warranty on the television, instead of a 3 year warranty that other stores, including Argos were offering at the time.

Apparently now, a number of stores have stopped price matching, because in the case of John Lewis, they might say that the savings on extended time warranties covers the price match!.

A number of stores like B&Q do seem to have re-introduced their price match plans with 10% extra, if you can find an 'identical' (same for same) item at a lower price!.

The craziness I find with on-line purchases, is delivery arrangements. Some offer free (perhaps next day) delivery on any amount, other deliveries with a minimum spend allowance for free delivery or various fixed amounts for deliveries. Ebuyer are a typical example as to their free (within 5 working days) delivery scheme on spends of over £49.99. I have had items within a couple of days and on some occasions the items have taken more than the 5 working days stated, and seem to have been 'held' in the system?.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Yes, I agree shops have their overheads, but we also have the "bargain" high street stores like Poundland, B&M, Home Bargains, Poundstretcher, Heron Foods etc who all seem able to undercut the supermarkets on many items.

Therefore I ask, why are these stores able to survive whilst selling mainstream goods at very low prices?

There is the theory that they "pick up" liquidations at knock down prices, but for items such as Birds Custard Powder, Typhoo Tea Bags - they continue to sell these items at low prices day in day out.

Oh, if only we could see what money changes hands between supermarket and manufacturer, I think we'd be shocked.

Personally I think there is no set value on any commodity - they are all just sold for "whatever they can get for it".

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Mostly Short Dated Stock and Look-alike tat from the the Far East

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite