We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Comet vs Amazon for an Xbox360

cactusjack

Likes # 0

Hello all,

Has anyone bought a Xbox360 from Amazon.co.uk, developed faults and had to return it? Was Amazon easy to deal with for returns/repair?

Likewise, has anyone had experiences with Comet?

I was thinking Comet would be easy, since if there was a fault, you could walk into the store and return - however, I have read lots of horror stories online.

I have never bought a big electrical item from amazon before - but can't find many horror stories regarding returns.

In either case, I would take out the 3 year £30 extended warranty/insurance just to be safe.

Any advice is recommended.

Thank you.

Like this post
cactusjack

Likes # 0

Woops - that should have said 'any advice would be gratefully received'.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Absolutely no help whatever to you but thought that I would answer both.

I never had to send anything back to Amazon or E-buyer both of them good to use especially with the free delivery.

Comet.My daughter got a Laptop out of Comet and took it back as it would not start up.They put a new battery in it and it started first time but also sent it away for a service so no complaints from Comet Either.

3 year warranty is probably not advertised properly as the first year you automatically get it covered free.So not sure why companies always say 3 year warranty.

Sometimes the 3 year warranty you get does not cover you for accidental damage so you have to read the small print before buying. It Usually covers you for accidental damage for the first year only.After that it will be parts only.

Though that I would give you something to read till someone can give you the details that you are looking for.

I have heard numerous good reports about Amazons returns policy but like I said I have not had to return anything before,

Like this post
cactusjack

Likes # 0

Thanks Buteman - I have gone with Amazon in the end :)

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I once bought a Microwave from Comet. What a disaster. It went rusty inside and they insisted on a repair rather than a replacement - 3 TIMES!! Eventually they said to call out the repair man rather than take it into the shop, who said to keep calling him out at £49 per call out, which I did till the guarantee ran out. It must have cost them several hundred pounds in all rather than £100 for a new replacement.

Bought my next one in Argos,a DeLongi, and its now 6 years old and I've never had a problem with it, and it was cheaper.

I've also bought many large electrical items from Amazon, with no problems.

Like this post
daveeb

Likes # 0

I've just bought one for the kids. Eventually plumped for Argos as they had a good offer. Other vendors i considered were Amazon and Game. You could also try one of the big supermarkets as they tend to be fairly helpful when problems arise. My personal experiences with Comet/Currys/PCW mean that i would only buy from them as a last resort.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes