We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin media 50 mb

iqs

Likes # 0

Hi, I upgraded to the 50mb service two months ago.the last week or so my speed has been dropping to about 4mb after 7 ish. I have phoned the 50 mb service number,they say my connection is fine. During the day my speed is around 48 mb,it's just in the evening. I dont download a lot.

THere are sending out a new superhub.

IF this is still the same after,what can I do?

Also is anyone else having this problem

Thanks

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I take it you are connected by telephone and not cable.

If cable there is no reason why you should loose speed at night.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I don't see how it can be your superhub, if the speeds are okay in the day, and then drop-off in the evenings. Sounds a bit like contention ratios.

Do regular speed tests, and keep the results ready to send to Virgin, if the fault is still there, before and after changing the hub.

You could look up some broadband information from this website http://www.kitz.co.uk/sites/site_index.htm

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

Hi, And thanks for the help.

I agree it cant be the hub,and its cable not phone line. I just ran a speed test ,ping 15ms-d/l 50.22-u/l 1.36 This is the norm during the day.

I have contacted the complaints dept,someone will phone me back this afternoon after speaking to the tech dept. Hopefully they can assist.

I will keep you updated. Thanks again

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

iqs

I get the same speed day or night on 10Mb.

This is the speed test that the Virgin Engineers use.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

There is another problem that could cause it.

The NTL or virgin box is just outside my door and the Engineer said that I was getting to much power through the cable and he added a component that would drop the power to what it should have been.

Another case was much the same signal kept dropping and engineer came out after 1 minute on the computer he went outside to the NTL box on my wall and just changed the fuse type thing for another and worked fine after that.

So looks like you can get to much or to little power through the cable and it is easy sorted.

No doubt if your new Superhub does not work properly they will have a look at the signal you receive from the cable.

If it happens every night after 7pm could it be a fault on your electrical system maybe a timer switching on at that time.It should not really interfere with your computer signal but you never know.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

What Cat cable r u using switch to a cat 6

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

A couple of things, first go to this site

http://192.168.100.1/

and test your line yourself, the username and password is root.

Then post the results on the Virgin Media help forum and one of the VM engineers will tell you if your line is OK or not, if it isn't working correctly they will generate a fault ticket for the fault.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/General-broadband-questions/bd-p/General

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED