We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can i exchange my camera, within a month of purchase if unhappy?

wildlifewendy

Likes # 0

i purchased my Canon eos 500D two and half week ago now, after getting it home i found it has no image stablization on it, Whilst in the shop, i was going to go for the 550D, But because the 500D had two free lenses, fancied that, asking the salesman if either camera was better than the other he said no they were more or less the same, Because i have an problem in my hands, i need image stablization,and am finding it difficult to stop camera shake, Since owning my camera, i have rang Jessops(place of purchase) and spoke to the salesman explaining my problem,twice now i have rang him, He suggested a few ideas that may help, but not really working, Can i exchange the 500D for the 550D? thus giving me the image stabilization i need,

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Unless you can prove that the salesman told you the camera had image stabilisation, no you can't, unless Jessops will do so as a gesture of goodwill.

Unlike distance purchases, you have no right to change/exchange/return anything bought face to face unless it is faulty.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

You could try Jessop's customer care for help and assistance, and explain the problem you are having using the camera [email protected]

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

It's extremely doubtful that a salesperson would have said that any of the Canon range of DSLRs have Image stablisation as Canon do not build IS into their DSLR cameras. So exchanging the 500D for the 550D will be of no benefit to you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

Image stabilisation depends on the lens, not on the camera body.

If you want IS you can have it, but you'll need to buy a Canon lens with that feature - you can then use it on your 500D.

The Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/1:4-5.6 IS USM is an excellent general purpose lens with Image Stabilisation built in. I use one of these lenses myself, and can vouch for its performance. If the Canon price tag of £560 is a bit steep for your budget, shop around - you will pick up a second-hand lens in excellent condition for around half that figure.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

As morddwyd has , the shop has no obligation to take the camera back unless it is faulty. Goodwill may help, maybe if you were buying a dearer one. Shops like M&S who take stuff back are doing it as a PR exercise.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

sorry "morddwyd has said..."

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

But as I've pointed out, there's no need to take the camera back - there's nothing wrong with it. You'll get Image Stabilisation with it when you buy the correct lens.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Other makes of DSLRs such as the Pentax K-7 do in fact have image stabisation built into the body

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As does Sony Alpha

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Ref the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM mentioned by the FE. This lens can be bought at most UK online outlets for around £350

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today