We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best laptop for multimedia/ photo editing?

thecatizzle

Likes # 0

Hi there, I'm updating my laptop for Christmas but I'm having a tough time deciding which laptop.

I'm an art student, I use my laptop for editing film and video, Photoshop, and writing essays. My current laptop freezes constantly when I'm in the middle of editing and so I keep losing work. I just want a laptop that can cope with the strain of Photoshop etc. I also really don't want a number pad.

My budget is up to £360.

Can anyone advise? I'm terribly lost!!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

for £360 you won't get much of a machine. If you can stretch to £400 then this Acer has a good spec

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

As chub_tor has pointed out, you'll need to spend more than £360 to get the kind of machine you want, and frankly I would recommend waiting until you can run to at least £500.

The problem with all the budget machines (those priced at under £500) is that the manufacturers will have made savings on components, and one of the performance areas that takes a hit is commonly graphics. You'll see lots of machines costing between £300 and £450, but most of them will prove to be a disappointment to someone who regularly works with video and image editing.

I'm sorry to put a dampener on your plans, but I would be doing you a disservice if I recommended otherwise.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)