We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

British Gas Customer Service

Newuser939

Likes # 0

Does anybody else feel that British Gas' customer service is going from bad to worse? My sorry saga goes like this.

I have a Homecare Plan to cover my central heating. When it went on the blink, I booked an engineer's visit for today, Friday morning. At about 11.00am I got a phone call to say that the engineer would probably be delayed until the afternoon. At 5.20pm, I get another call to say that he won't be coming at all today and that the next available slot is next Wednesday! In other words, British Gas mess up and I get sent to the back of the queue.

No small business would dare to treat its customers like that. Obviously my next task is to find another company offering central heating cover, but which has a decent reputation for customer service. There must be one - mustn't there?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps off subject slightly, but every year we have a 'free' gas safety check on various domestic appliances, including central heating boiler. I have yet to receive an appropriate answer as to how these safety checks are conducted. Every engineer that as called over the past 4/6 years, seems to have a different method or time scale in doing the checks.

One engineer spent nearly one full hour doing various things to the three appliances, another engineer who did the safety check this year, simply turned the appliances on and off a couple of times, checked the flames, and then left to complete his list of 20 more checks in a twenty mile radius that day. The complete visit to my home took no longer than 15 minutes at the very most.

I wrote to the power company that had arranged the visits, requesting more information as to how the safety checks are or should be undertaken. The response was solely to tell me, that if I was eligible next year, they would arrange another safety check then. This scheme is part of the "for over 60's" government and power companies mutual arrangement, at possibly tax payers and customers expenses.

Perhaps worth a mention, on one of these visits 3/4 years ago, the engineer had a real right argument on the phone with his area manager about the work he was suppose to do that day, and what he had done on previous days. Apparently, it was nothing unusual for him to leave home just after 6am and not return home before 8pm, due to his travel and work schedules. Ended up, by the engineer offering his resignation and arranging to meet the area manager at one of the local supermarkets?.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

British Gas Customer Service, Good or Bad?, I have yet to have any problems, but when I visited my elderly parents yesterday, my mum told me that when she rang them last week to discuss the "best available tariff", she was told that they couldn't possibly discuss that, and that she should use the internet to have a look. As I said to my mum, when you do find something better / cheaper, they then beg you to stay, but won't discuss options when you do ask.

Is that the norm for enery suppliers nowadays?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

sb23

i thought brit gas did a reduced tariff for old and disabled people, has she mentioned if that still continues.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I am with Scottish Power the Cover for Boiler is built into what I pay monthly Includes Boiler Check once a Year

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Last night my hot water went off though heating was OK.

Rang BG this morning at 10.15. At 1.30PM engineer arrived, inspected system, replaced diaphragm, tested the entire system, played with my German Shepherd in garden and left.

Lots of lovely hot water again to my intense delight!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...