We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking for a Portable 14" Laptop....can you help?

Charliebrown05

Likes # 0

I am looking for suggestions for a new Laptop after my HP Netbook gave up "the Ghost" a week or so back after only buying it slightly over a year ago from QVC. I took it to two separate Computer Engineers to see if they could fix it but both agreed that "I should never have bought a netbook as most them are a bundle of junk and they are so small that everything is crammed into the motherboard and if anything goes wrong with them they unfixable" One of them suggested that I should look at a portable Laptop at around 14" as a replacement. So guys what are your suggestions? I was looking at the Lenovo Z370 13.3 inch Notebook (Intel Core i3 2310M 2.1GHz, RAM 4GB, HDD 500GB, DVDRW, WLAN, Webcam, BT, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Black/Silver at around £450 I don't know much about this company (other than they used to be IBM)or the reliability of it's products....so what do you think of them? I'm writing on a Acer Desktop which has been superb for the last 6 yrs and I also have an old Acer Laptop which has given good service for the last 8 yrs or so (except the CD writer doesn't work) Has Acer got a 14" Laptop ....I can't see anything out there. My priorities are that the Laptop must be portable (that's why I'm looking at 14" and the latest Intel Processors with a decent size Ram like 4 - 6Gbs and am looking in the region of £300 - to - £550 Can you Help?

Thanks

Like this post
Charliebrown05

Likes # 0

Johnathann.thanks.............I have already looked at these Laptops and would dismiss the HP (right away) because of the problems I'm having with this Netbook which was a HP mini Netbook. I have seen the Sony in PC World and it comes in Pinky red and a very strong blue.........and to tell you the truth it looked "Cheap as chips" although it isn't at being over £500. The Acer is the only credible one but still quite dear at £485. The Lenovo looks like a slightly better deal but I don't know much about them other than it is the name change of IBM (which is a massive Computer Corporation) but is reliability up to the mark...I don't know!!!

Wee Eddie - I contacted QVC and they were quite positive and friendly about my problem and they suggested that I write to them and include a Service Engineers report stating that it is unfixable but they did leave the caveat that the product was outside the Years Warranty and strictly speaking they couldn't do anything but they did promise to look at it if I wrote in as requested. Now I have to get a Engineers Report which will probably cost me......and what happens if QVC don't agree to anything, I'm out money on a Report.......decisions decisions.....I might be as well just get a new Laptop and not bother with the hassle of it all....I really don't know what to do for the best

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Have you looked at this Samsung from Argos it gets good reviews, does have a DVD recorder but may be at the top end of your budget.

Like this post
Charliebrown05

Likes # 0

chub_tor Thanks for your submission, I hadn't seen this one and I also work for the Home Retail Group (Argos and Homebase) so I might be able to get some staff discount with this. The reviews on Amazon aren't the greatest.......putting the Battery down and one saying it is very unreliable and it has quality issues (whatever that means).......but thanks anyway for throwing that one into the mix......the more the merrier.

The one I think I'm tilting too is the Lenovo with it's reasonable sized HD good processor the i3 and 4Gbs of Ram and it is in the price range at £449 but and it is a big BUT I still haven't given up on QVC......decisions, decisions...........what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks again for all your help

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

"what would you do if you were in my shoes?" if I was in no immediate hurry (ie had access to another pc for a while) I would wait and see what QVC offered. If that is a big fat zero then I would start looking at alternatives. We are approaching Christmas (Heaven forbid!) but that is the season when retailers lower their prices to get rid of overstock or old models.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features