We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Laptop

interzone55

Likes # 0

I've just bought a new laptop after my elderly Toshiba Satellite became more trouble than it's worth.

I found an absolute bargain, only £299 for an ASUS laptop, 15" screen, Core i3 CPU, 3gb RAM etc.

Came loaded with Windows 7 SP1, but now I'm downloading almost 600mb of Windows Updates, good job I've got a 10mbit/s unlimited connection.

Anyway, now I've got the exciting job of loading all my software back in, and my documents and stuff, should take me the rest of the weekend to get it set up...

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

I have always wondered why manufacturers don't update their Windows image, so that it is more, or less up to date for their customers. It would make far more sense for them to do this once, than for all the customers to update individually.

Rather you, than me, reloading all your software and data, I hate doing that. Although I try to use portable versions nowadays, so I just have one partition image to transfer.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Don't forget to make backups, once your happy with your set up. My sister's new laptop went belly-up last week.No discs came with the package. It was an Acer Aspire 5742z. She took it back to Argos, they are now rectifying the problem.Should be ready in 14 days. (It did come with backup software - and prompts to make backups)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

alan14 - Which model and where did you get it? I know someone who wants a laptop at around that price.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Woolwell

It's this one

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-a52f-ex1393s-15-6-laptop-black-10794858-pdt.html

It was £369 yesterday, with a price of £299 online, that is matched instore if you reserve it, I now notice it's been dropped to £299.97 in store

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Thank you.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

alan14 - I am being too sensitive to your last response - when you say "it has now been 'dropped' to a lower price"...are you using subliminal suggestions.Laptops, tea-cups, plates, for that matter, that are accidently dropped on to a hard surface, usually, break to smithereens! Good luck with your new laptop.Don't drop it :O)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I think the £xxx.97 indicate an 'end of line' product, soon to be replaced by a newer model.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Nope, I just mean the price has been reduced

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

wiz-king

It's already been replaced, but according to the PCW staff the new model isn't selling well at all, as it's a fairly bright red.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Moved to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...