We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MAC CODE

douglas1973
Resolved

Likes # 0

A close friend and neighbour is trying (at my suggestion) to change his broadband service provider (Pipex/TalkTalk). Twelve working day have passed since he made a telephone request and he still has not received the MAC Code. What can he do about it? Pipex/TalkTalk are ignoring his complaints. It is all very well for there to be a regulation that states that a code must be given in 5 working days but if the applicant does not get it within this period there seems nothing he/she can do about it since OFCOM will not deal with individual cases! (Very convenient). We have many regulatory authorities in the U.K. but my impression is that most, if not all, are useless.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

The link below might be helpful.

http://www.maccode.org.uk/feedback/pipex.aspx

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

As you rightly say, Ofcom will not deal with individuals, but they will record complaints. At present Talk Talk are being given an 'improvement rating' by Ofcom, which isn't going to resolve your problem in the short term.

You could make a direct complaint to the ISP's own Ombudsman/Watchdog though.

Like this post
douglas1973

Likes # 0

Thanks The Kestrel and spuds. I have passed your advice on to my friend and see what happens. I will keep in touch with you if there is anything of interest.

Like this post
douglas1973

Likes # 0

Thanks everybody. My friend eventually phoned Pipex complaining that he had not received the MAC code he requested and the person he spoke to said that they had no records of his request! My friend is almost sure it was the person he had spoken to originally! Anyway, he requested a MAC Code again and he received it within 5 days.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features