We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ipad 2 Prices

gengiscant

Likes # 0

I am looking to buy an ipad 2 and have been struck by the almost uniform pricing wherever I have looked. A 16GB WiFi ipad 2 sells for around £399 and that price seems to be fixed in every store/etailer I have seen them slightly lower on fleabay but apart from that maybe a fiver difference elsewhere.

Is this an Apple thing? Why are the prices so fixed?

Like this post
D4lien

Likes # 0

As Apple products are premium products, that will always sell, there is little incentive for retailers to discount their price.

Also Apple exert a lot of influence over their retail partners keeping prices as uniform as possible across the board.

But it mostly comes down to the fact people will pay the prices without waiting for a discount to be offered.

Personally I would buy direct from an Apple store as their is little to be had going through a middleman.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Personally I would buy direct from an Apple store as their is little to be had going through a middleman

I think I would prefer to buy through a company like John Lewis which has an excellent customer service rep and is local so any problems I have not got to faf about sending somewhere to have checked etc etc.

As for your reasoning about people paying the prices without waiting for discount may be true at launch but not a good bit later.

I incline to agree about undue influence from Apple.

Like this post
D4lien

Likes # 0

John Lewis are good it has to be said, so fair enough.

Apple products hold their values like no other technology products due to their must have cool factor. That's really what I was trying to say in that people don't wait for discounts, second-hand and refurbished devices still go for high prices.

Products that sell like Apple iPad don't attract discounts until a newer version is out. Apple also tend to ensure stocks of the older version are pretty much gone before they make the new version available. This makes sure they keep the retail price nice and high.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"As Apple products are premium products, that will always sell, there is little incentive for retailers to discount their price."

That's really it in a nutshell. Pretty well everyone would like to own an iPad, so it's a seller's market. Apple makes objects of desire, and prices have always been on the high side.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers