We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband Dongle PAYG????

PERN

Likes # 0

Looking for best buy for dongle with USB, to use with laptop when staying in cottages in the depth of the country.Do not want any contracts as its just for hols.Checking the web and its a minefield.Please guide me to what GB etc to look for.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

You don't say what you are going to do.

I have a 3gb contract with 3 for £8 a month. Reception is alright but 3 gb won't go far if you use iplayer etc. Perfectly adequate for browsing, emails and so on. If it is just for emails and browsing have you checked any add ons for your mobile phone? Not perfect but if you just need it for a short while may well be the cheapest option.

Like this post
PERN

Likes # 0

Hi Bugle Thanks for response, The wife will be using it just for browsing the internet and e/mails. We will be in the Lake district so I think I will contact O2 ,our mobile supplier, and see if they can do me a deal wth one of their payg dongles. Being retired we grab a few holidays ayear so to buy one and keep using would make sense.Thanks again

Like this post
PERN

Likes # 0

Further info please Bugle ,when using internet Dongle via your mobile ,do you have to put the mobile sim card into the laptop.With me wanting to use payg it would make sense to use as I use in the mobile.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

The dongle plugs into the usb socket and should set up automatically.

If you have a slot for the sim card in your laptop put the card into that, though at times it is best to use the dongle blue tacked to the window with an extension lead to the laptop. See 02 are offering £10 off but it still may be best to use your phone with a bolt on. It will be interesting to see what you can squeeze out of O2.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Do you know if there is any signal at your chosen destination? The Lakes, like the Highlands of Scotland are notorious for their areas without signal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'