We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have you bought the new Kindle?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

The new, lighter, £89 Kindle book reader is now being delivered to customers, and I wondered if we have any early purchasers in the forum.

If you've taken the plunge, what are your initial reactions?

Like this post
dikul

Likes # 0

Yep, had one on order since last week. I won't be allowed to use it until a certain date, which I can't mention, in December (clue, a fat man will come down the chimney!).

Mike

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Make sure Health and Safety aren't waiting.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FE, don't say that you have your eyes on the new one. You've only just sold your soul for the last one!

Like this post
johnathann

Likes # 0

Planning to get the new one. Hope I will get it by the end of the year.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Why should I pay 20% vat on a book when I can have a physical thing vat free that I can read, give to friends, sell on to anyone?

Like this post
logoff

Likes # 0

Seems like the answer, as of now, is no :)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Why should I pay 20% vat on a book when I can have a physical thing vat free that I can read, give to friends, sell on to anyone?"

Well, for a start you'll probably pay a lot less for the digital version.

I'm currently reading a book about Churchill. The Kindle version costs £3.99 inclusive of VAT. The paperback edition is £6.99.

The book currently at number one in the Kindle 'top 100' list costs 99p inclusive of VAT. The paperback is £5:39.

Of course, I can't lend Kindle books to my friends without lending them the Kindle too, and I certainly can't sell digital books, but frankly at those prices I couldn't care less - I've bought around 40 Kindle books this year, and saved a pretty tidy sum over the cost of paper versions.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Ordered and e-mail has just arrived saying that it has been despatched.

My only concern before ordering was the lack of a keyboard, but reading the reviews/feedback it was seldom used anyway and the on-screen one is adequate.

This will be my first Kindle so I will not be able to compare with the original, but I shall let you know how I get on once it arrives.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm a little annoyed.

I bought a refurbed 3G kindle a couple of months back after much deliberation. There was a lot of talk a bout a Kindle tablet and I'd been waiting for that, then I decided it would be about £300 so wouldn't bother.

Now they've launched this new Kindle 4 @ £89, and the tablet when it arrives next year will most likely be less than £200, so should I have waited?

Probably not to be honest, as I've had much use out of the Kindle, and it's now got almost 100 books on it.

QuizMan

Don't worry about the lack of keyboard, I've only used mine a few times - for inputting the password for my Wi-Fi at home & work, and naming folders to file the books. The keyboard kindles only contain letters, so I still have to use the onscreen virtual keyboard for numbers and symbols

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but Amazon have exceeded my expectations again. My new Kindle came with today's post delivery. I am currently at the charging and setting up stage.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...