We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have you bought the new Kindle?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

The new, lighter, £89 Kindle book reader is now being delivered to customers, and I wondered if we have any early purchasers in the forum.

If you've taken the plunge, what are your initial reactions?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

QuizMan

How many hours between ordering & receipt, mine came in a shade under 18 hours...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"mine came in a shade under 18 hours..."

Amazon is gearing up for its peak selling period, and this year the company expects to sell several million Kindles in a couple of months or so. I imagine that a lot of people will want one at this price point.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

alan14 - more than that. I ordered it on the 6th using the free delivery option. I had an e-mail on Monday saying delivery would be on the 18th and another late last night that it had been despatched. It arrived at 2 o'clock today via the postman.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Here are some initially observations and comments.

The quick start guide is brief at best. You get two pages, one with a diagram showing the various buttons and another with charging details. The Kindle itself holds the user guide which is quite extensive.

Charging is via the supplied USB cable. Once connected to a PC/laptop it charges automatically and Windows loads the drivers (it did on W7 anyway). You also get the chance to choose your language and there are several pre-loaded including English UK & US. There is a prompt to set up wireless connectivity. That took a while mainly because I had forgotten how tightly locked down I had set my router.

FE wrote "Of course, I can't lend Kindle books to my friends without lending them the Kindle too" Yes you can according to Kindle so long as the publisher has agreed to it (no idea yet how often this happens). If your friend has a Kindle too you can loan them the book for 14 days once only during which time you will not be able to read it yourself. It's not ideal, but better than nothing if they're quick readers.

For want of something better, I ordered the free Iliad as I have always wanted to read it, but never got round to it. That arrived onto the Kindle and I was reading it within 30 seconds. Books are opened via the Home Page and they open almost instantly. The reading experience is so far impressive. I can change font size to suit my eyes, pages "turn" quickly and the Kindle feels comfortable to hold. It seems easy on the eyes whilst reading too. These are early days, but so far, so good.

Like this post
dikul

Likes # 0

Mine arrived today as well, so at some point I will receive it wrapped in season gift paper.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

QuizMan

"FE wrote "Of course, I can't lend Kindle books to my friends without lending them the Kindle too" Yes you can according to Kindle so long as the publisher has agreed to it"

Not if you live in the UK. Kindle book lending is only available in America.

You can borrow a book from an American Kindle owner, but only if the book is available in the UK. You can't lend any of your Kindle books.

I hope you'll enjoy enjoy using your Kindle.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Thank you, FE, I stand corrected.

I have encountered my first problem. Apart from buying and reading books it should also be possible to download other documents via the free Kindle e-mail address with which I am provided. It enables, for example, download of PDF's and Word doc's. However, it did not work. When I raised a query with Amazon they replied rather cryptically "Further to your e-mail, Kindle you refer to is currently only available from Amazon.com to U.S. residents." This is clearly not true so I have now had a long conversation with their support. The solution is simple, but not documented (or if it is, it is well hidden). If sending something in a form other than the Kindle format, the subject line of the e-mail must contain the "convert" and nothing else. It takes a few minutes to receive it so be patient, but it does work.

If I have minor criticism, it is that I have found no way of establishing how many pages I have read. You get a percentage read indicator, but that is meaningless if you do not know how big the book is in hard copy form. I can see the logic of not doing so on the basis that it is possible to change font sizes to suit the individual so the number of "pages" will vary, but I would have thought that the Kindle could calculate and re-calculate quite easily. They look quite expensive though.

Out of curiosity, I weighed my Kindle on the kitchen scales to compare it with the weight of a typical paperback. It was 167g compared to 260g for a real book.

I think a cover for it is a must so that will be my next purchase.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Oops that bit about "They look quite expensive though" should have been at the end of my last post - apologies.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

QuizMan

I've heard that there are issues with the screen refresh on the Kindle 4.

Basically older kindles totally refresh the screen with each page turn, leading to slower loads and a black line as the screen reloads.

New models only do this after each 6th page turn, which is supposed to make the text progressively fuzzier each page turn until the refresh - have you noticed this.

Regarding page numbers, there's a simple reason they're not there; as you can resize your text a page of the Kindle will probably not equal a page of the book. I used to have a Sony PRS-350 and they had page numbers so you could flick through a couple of screen pages for each book page. I find the % figure is quite useful, as you know have far through the book you are, not something that's obvious with page numbers. Amazon have acknowledged that some people do like page numbers though, so they're adding them to new books.

Final note: If you have word documents, Epub or PDF files that you want to load onto your Kindle you can download a free program called Calibre that will convert many file types to the Mobi-pocket format which the Kindle supports natively so you can transfer the files into the Documents folder by USB, whilst you're in the Documents folder you might want to take the User Guide and one of the dictionaries off the device to save space.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

*alan14 wrote *

"Basically older kindles totally refresh the screen with each page turn, leading to slower loads and a black line as the screen reloads.

New models only do this after each 6th page turn, which is supposed to make the text progressively fuzzier each page turn until the refresh - have you noticed this."

No I haven't. I have just tested it to double check. At the next page, both the old and the new briefly display super-imposed one on the other and something slightly different happens on the 6th turn of the page - the screen goes black before displaying the new one. But it it so brief you really have to concentrate to spot it. It does not detract from reading in any way and, to my eyes, there is no blurring.

Thank you for the Calibre link; I shall check that out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today