We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Air vents for conservatory

Phoenix21
Resolved

Likes # 0

I live in a rented bungalow that has conservatories at the front and the rear of the property. There are no windows in the front conservatory and very little ventilation in the rest of the house so it is very damp which causes outbreaks of mould and mildew.

I have asked my landlord to fit two air vents (that can be closed manually in case of bad weather), one at either end on the front conservatory in the PVC walls, but all he wants to do is drill holes in the walls! I have been searching on line to try and find some reasonably priced air vents that he might be prepared to buy, but so far without any luck. Can anyone suggest which vents would be best and where my landlord might be able to buy them?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

examples louvre for the outside, hit and miss on the inside - lots of choices.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Hi,

We had a conservatory built a couple of years ago and we have had an automatic window opener/closer fitted to a roof light. we have set the temperature for opening to 26 C and 23,5 to close, and it closes automatically if there is any rain around no matter what the temperature is. It needs to be fitted to a mains electric socket which is the only downer as far as we were concerned, but as it was a new structure all we had done was to add another socket to the electric side. Simples!!

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

A manually operated, electric rocker switch or climate control roof vent can be retrofitted easily to a conservatory roof glazed with polycarbonate, costly if glazed with glass.

The vents are fitted between the glazing bars but it is best to use units that comply with the roof system. If your conservatory is less than 10 years old it will most likely be by one of the following system manufacturers, Ultraframe, K2, Global, Synseal, or Wendland.

All of these manufacturers make their own vent systems, to identify your roof manufacturer look at the end of the glazing bars; the end cap usually has the company logo on it. This situation will only deteriorate if left as it is, suggest to the land lord that the sooner it is resolved the less it will cost in the long run.

One of the companies I own manufactures conservatory roofs of one of those systems listed above.

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

My landlord called earlier today and said he is going to fit two air bricks to the conservatory walls with sliding covers so they can be closed in bad weather. He is not prepared to do more than that. But thank you all very much for your helpful suggestions.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"he is going to fit two air bricks to the conservatory walls"

That should help considerably. Ask for them to be fitted at opposite ends of the conservatory, but see if you can get one fitted in the middle as well. The more air that moves through the space the better. If there's a door into the house leave it open when you can, and open a rear window. The pressure imbalance between the front and back of the house will ensure that the maximum amount of air is drawn through the airbricks - it's similar to the air-flow that causes doors to slam if you open both back and front doors.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote