We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDD Digital TV Recorder

Mort105
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm looking for a new HDD Digital TV recorder to replace my parents old analog one - this no longer works now the analog signal has been switched off.

The new machine will need to play DVD as well as they don't want a seperate machine for this - would prefer a machine that plays blu-ray but will settle for DVD.

I've been looking around google, amazon etc and struggling to come up with a decent machine to recommend to them - anyone any idea's? Anyone had to do this recently and what do you think of the device you bought?

Any help appreciated...

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't use Sky so have a small freesat unit for HD. When I can afford it this will be something like my next purchase, Panasonic.

Like this post
Mort105

Likes # 0

The panasonic looks good, but I think it needs to be hooked up to a dish - not sure they would go for that.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes, you would need similar for free-view not free-sat.

Like this post
Mort105

Likes # 0

This LG doesn;t look too bad, has everything they want but worried it might be complex for them to use. Anyone have this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-HR600-Blu-ray-Player-Freeview/dp/B0054U4KI4/ref=sr15?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317506455&sr=1-5

Like this post
wjrt

Likes # 0

have a look at Toshiba RDXV60 at Amazon

Like this post
mobing

Likes # 0

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think Panasonic is the most reliable .They do DVD recorders with built in Freeview that can store on HD or DVD. Useful if you want to keep a programme for a long time, or for watching hired or bought films. An example: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Home+Entertainment/DVD+Recorders/DMR-EX83/Specification/3533491/index.html?trackInfo=true

I would go for a slightly bigger HD model.(see Panasonic website)

Like this post
Mort105

Likes # 0

I was going to recommend the LG HR600, but they've been out in the mean time and bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMR-BWT700EB-Blu-ray-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B004XBUG9C/ref=wlitdponpd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2W9N2Z9YAINCZ&colid=BO3ER335D59N

Looks really good, though have to see what it's like when they have it setup.

Thanks for the advice.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Looks excellent. I am sure they will love it. Well worth studying the manual to get the best out of it (editing out adverts etc)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen