We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is love film any good for dvd rental?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

Ive been receiving leaflets from lovefilm lately, when they are not sent through the post they are falling out of magazines-they must be making a fair bit. Its obvious that they are very popular now and may have monopolised the market in media rental, and now that amazon has taken them over nothing is ever likely to change that. From some youtube reviews it seems the films they send out may be legalised copies and not originals at all, perhaps in order to save themselves money. Some users have had issues with playback from the net, not getting the right discs, possibly unchecked or broken when sent in poor packaging, or getting the discs late (ruining their subscription pattern). It doesnt sound good so far, but then its usually only the very few with bad experiences who end up posting up reviews.

So all Im wondering about now is if anything from the original dvd discs has been removed (movie menus/extras when on same disc). Im not a major movie fanatic and dont have a giant widescreen tv either, but would be interested in finding out about the quality of the video on the discs :) thanks

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

MAJ

It is free for the trial period, but you must remember to cancel before the end of the trial period, otherwise they will start using the card details provided for any charges, after the trial period.

The initial details requirements are for checking and confirmation.

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

Hi Spuds, it isn't "free" for the trial period, something has to be given in return for it, namely, my credit card or debit card details. They wont give me the trial unless I supply those details and as we all know from other peoples experiences, that can work out to be pretty expensive in some instances.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I took the plunge and signed up on Thursday. Two movies turned up this morning and I've just finished watching the first.

So far, so good.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Never found anything missing nor have I ever had a problem viewing them. Excellent service and thoroughly recommended.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I believe that "Watchdog" on BBC this week has something about them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I've never had a single problem with Love Film. My experience has been that they do exactly what they say they will do. The quality of the DVDs has been generally excellent.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

On the martin lewis forum theres a few complaints from may about not getting some sort of free voucher when you sign up for the free trial, with Love Film trying to get around having to give you them if you decide not to continue after your 30 days. I think the watchdog complaint might be about that, or something related (the general difficulty in being able to unsubscribe). Thats good to hear about not having any issues yourselves-what are the physical discs like and video quality in general? Its hard to find good reviews of their service, and its very hard to tell from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmsHcg8UcG0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrxTxGuKibE

They must surely be cheap copies if they are sent in the above sleeves and nothing else-I would hope they were 1 to 1 versions of originals of same quality with the menus etc. Ive noticed they have an online streaming service, wondered about the quality of the video on that too. Not getting videos to work and/or getting them late would obviously be the worst thing-should be interesting next thurs on watchdog

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I've not used Love Film, but when I was in the States for a while I noticed that Blockbuster often had their own unique copies of films with the extras and multiple sub-title streams removed and additional trailers & adverts at the start that were impossible to skip.

Seeing as Love Film must have hundreds of copies of latest releases I would imagine they operate the same sort of system by having their own versions of the films mass produced.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Being a regular user of Amazon services, I use to get quite a lot of advertising (mainly emails and parcel inserts) regarding special offers for Love Film. Don't seem to get much of that nowadays.

Might be well worth watching this weeks BBC Watchdog program, and see what all that is about?.

Like this post
LANDCRUISER

Likes # 0

love films great

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...