We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pc problem switching on

gentiandaisy

Likes # 0

I am having a problem with my PC switching on - Engineer says it is not the switch but cooler temperature in mornings!!!! I get so fed up trying to switch it on - I have been leaving it on for several days and don't know if this will cause a further problem. He has offered to change the Tower case to see if this will solve problem. It is a 4 year old Medion (Vista) and has been great, although getting a bit slow now. I am considering buying a new Pc as per my previous post.

Just wondered if anyone had any idea's

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If using XP have you tried using Hibernate then it should start up where you left off the night before.

Like this post
gentiandaisy

Likes # 0

Thanks for reply. Its Vista and I have tried sleep but it seemed to have switched off by morning!!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure if Vista is the same as XP with Hibernate.

You just switch it off using Hibernate and it starts straight away to where you left it the day before by pressing the start button.

I would imagine all the drivers and everything else would be preloaded to start right away.

have you tried device manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the drivers.

Have you gave it a good clean out using C Cleaner.

Ran clean up and removed all but your last restore point.

Ran chkdsk and ran a Defrag.

See how much space you have left on your hard drive.

Switch of all add-ons and see if it works any faster.

And have you updated and ran all of your security programs.

Give Malwarebytes a try if you have used it before.

What Anti-virus and Anti-malware programs have you got installed and have you deleted any Anti-Virus programs recently.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...