We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Does this PC build look alright? How long does it take to assemble a PC?

Armchair
Resolved

Likes # 0

Coolermaster Elite 334 Black Midi Tower Case w/o PSU

550W PSU, Coolermaster GX RS550-ACAAE3-UK, 85% Eff', 80 PLUS Bronze, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.31

Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2-B3, Intel H61, S 1155, DDR3, SATA II - 3Gb/s, PCIe 2.0 (x16), VGA On Board, Micro ATX

Intel Core i5 2310, S 1155, Sandy Bridge, Quad Core 2.90GHz, 6MB Smart Cache, 29x Ratio, 95W, Retail

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-10600 (1333), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.50V

1GB XFX HD 6870 Dual Fan Black Edition, 4600MHz GDDR5, GPU 940MHz, 1120 Stream Processors, DVI/ HDMI

500GB Samsung HD502HJ Spinpoint F3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9ms, NCQ

Samsung SH-S222AB/RSMS, 22x DVD±R, 8x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, x12 RAM, SATA, Retail

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1, Operating System, Single, - OEM

Total:- £570 delivered

I've never actually put together a PC before, just swapped out components. I've been watching a few PC assembly videos on YouTube, and I THINK I might be alright doing this. It does seem to be the best way to get value for money, because I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced pre-built PC that's similarly specified. The only niggle I have atm is that the i5 2400 is out of stock on the site I want to buy from, so I've settled for the 2310. It might be good enough..............

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Looks good. Have you have a look at novatech as well. I bought mine from them an asembled in no time. 2/3hrs if things are straight forward.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

I've been on every site I can think of, including Novatech. There's always something not quite right about the pre-builts I've looked at (usually the price).

2 to 3 hours sounds alright.

I can't help fearing that something will go wrong, though. I suppose I'll still have this PC to access help online with if I hit a snag.

Btw, do all retail CPUs come with a fan/heatsink/pre-applied thermal compound? I don't fancy messing about with tubes of gunk.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"do all retail CPUs come with a fan/heatsink/pre-applied thermal compound?"

Some do, and some don't.

Nothing will go wrong, provided you work methodically and carefully, and provided you have checked that your components are compatible with one another.

It's not rocket science, but there are some pitfalls. Make sure that everything is properly slotted and plugged, loose connections are the commonest cause of self-builds failing to start. Before you start handling delicate electronic components it's a good idea to drain your static charge by touching a nearby radiator. Do it again if you get up and wander around during the build.

Above all, don't rush - set aside a couple of hours.

Enjoy your new computer, you know where to come in the unlikely event of something going wrong, don't you?

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Yeah, I'll be here.

I've already swapped a couple of components. I've decided to go for an i5 2500k, which is only another £14 extra. I won't be able to overclock it so much with a H61 motherboard, but the extra 400MHz over the 2310 seems worth the £.

I've also ditched the Coolermaster PSU, and opted for a modular Antec unit. Hopefully it'll be easier to work with. The case and (non-modular)PSU I have atm are horrible to work with. Too many cables, not enough space. I want to get all the right components this time. The price has crept up, though, and it's making me sweat a bit.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Are you saving much by building it yourself.

Buy it from a Computer Company and you will get your usual warranty with it.

Bodge it and it could end up costing more.

lots of computer sales out there just now so maybe get a bargain that way.

I must admit I would like to try building one myself but think it would be a bit nerve racking switching the power on and waiting for the puff of blue smoke or not.

Best of luck take care where you buy from and make sure you get some customer reviews first before ordering.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

I finally did order the components, but I made a few last minute changes.

**Coolermaster Elite 335 Midi Tower Case w/o PSU

550W PSU, Antec TruePower New TP-550, Modular, Quad 12V Rails

Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2-B3, Intel H61, S 1155, DDR3, SATA II - 3Gb/s, PCIe 2.0 (x16), VGA On Board, Micro ATX

Intel Core i5 2500, S 1155, Sandy Bridge, Quad Core 3.30GHz, 6MB Smart Cache, 33x Ratio, 95W, Retail

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-10600 (1333), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.50V

1GB Point of View GTX 460 TGT Charged, 3800MHz GDDR5, GPU 780MHz, Shader 1560MHz, 336 Cores

500GB Samsung HD502HJ Spinpoint F3, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9ms, NCQ

Samsung SH-S222AB/RSMS, 22x DVD±R, 8x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, x12 RAM, SATA, Retail

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1, Operating System, Single, - OEM**

I've opted for a (much less expensive) pre-overclocked GTX 460. I still don't really trust ATI/AMD cards after my Radeon 9600XT driver experiences. Went for the plain i5 2500.

buteman. The above components cost £540, plus £8 delivery, plus £8 insurance against accidental damage. At one point the total was nudging £600, and I cut back a bit.

A lot of the pre-builts I've checked out have a weak spot in their component line-up (eg A £10 PSU in a £500 PC), and I've seen loads of supposed gaming PCs advertised that are next to useless for gaming. Also, I've blustered on at friends/family for years about how I'm going to build a PC, and it's about time I got on with it.

I've checked out each component for suitability. The motherboard is basic, but has everything I need, apart from maybe a couple of front mounted USB ports, which I can add cheaply enough later on if I want. I don't need a massive hard drive. My main priorities were a good CPU that'll hopefully last me a long time (the CPU and motherboard I'm using now have been in use for nine years), plenty of RAM (which is very cheap atm) so I never have to buy any more for it, and a good quality PSU which will be up to the job of powering the inevitable graphics card upgrade in a couple of years time. It's actually been fun picking out these components!

Probably the longest post I've ever made on here..........

Like this post  
Armchair

Likes # 0

One small thing I've only just noticed... The case already has 2 x USB 2.0 on the front panel, so I can forget about adding more.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

I know I already ticked the topic, but......... I assembled the PC today, and it's up and running with everything essential installed. Only had one problem with it. The case fan was far too loud, so I unplugged it. Almost silent now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more