We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this Microsoft

brindly

Likes # 0

I have received emails recently for "All New Microsoft Office 2012" "Alternative Office Suite" "DOWNLOAD NOW" It then goes on to say " The Long Awaited update is here" is this genuine Microsoft Office update or maybe a way of infecting my computer? It doesn't say anything about cost at this stage but I don't want to even open it. The company put their sddress at the bottom : Taj Media Group

4920 Crestview Terrace Somerset, TX 78069

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

Yep, thats the one, why would you need an alternative to Microsoft Word unless you didn't have Microsoft Office in the first place? Still, good luck to them if it is genuine but I think I will stick with Microsoft Office.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

How did they get your e-mail address ?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Many people can't afford Microsoft Office, which is why free products like Libre Office (neƩ Open Office) thrive.

In this case though the company are very naughty pushing their product as Microsoft Office 2012.

Current MS Office is 2010, and a new one won't be due until 2013.

Microsoft's address is Microsoft Corporation One Microsoft Way Redmond, WA 98052-6399 USA

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Butemans link points to a page advertising "Kingsoft Office Suite 2012, a free Microsoft Office alternative for Windows" rather than "pushing it as MS Office 2012".

Whether Brindlys wording is verbatim might need to be verified.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Covergirl

Clearly Brindley's post suggests that he understood this to be a Microsoft product, and the branding Kingsoft Office Suite 2012 is close enough for many a trademark lawyer to fire off a cease & desist letter

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...the branding Kingsoft Office Suite 2012 is close enough for many a trademark lawyer to fire off a cease & desist letter"

I doubt it.

In my opinion the words 'Kingsoft Office Suite 2012' aren't sufficiently similar to 'Microsoft Office 2010' (the latest version of MS Office) to make an allegation of passing off a viable proposition. The product web site clearly states that this is "a free Microsoft Office alternative for Windows", and there's no suggestion that anyone is trying to sell the software.

However, if advertising or promotional emails do carry the words "All New Microsoft Office 2012" there could well be a passing off issue, and my advice to the company behind this would be to stop using that form of words immediately.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made