We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Indian call centres keep calling me and saying I have errors

andy63walsh

Likes # 0

This must be a new scam. An indian call centre calls pretending to be with Windows, they eventually say, get the command Run on the screen, type eventvwr, by then if you keep playing with them they give up!! I get one a day now, can I report them?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I lead a sad life!"

Indeed you do.

Deliberately prolonging a call with a person who is trying a scam on you achieves nothing, except wasting a bit of your time. Far better just to ring off without saying anything as soon as you recognise what's happening.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - I disagree! I let them waste their time...and give them a chance to improve their command of the English language, they, then, thinking that they have me 'hooked', I tell them I don't have a computer.They then hang up on me.I had one such call ten minutes ago.I wish there were sticky fly-paper traps for 'pesky' Indian' phone-callers.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

Yes, if you have time, wind em up, more fun.

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

FE - The point is, it's their time I'm wasting as well as mine and like others who agree with me have said............If it winds them up....so what, it's a bit of fun.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"If it winds them up.....so what, it's a bit of fun"

Which is very true, but you should also consider that people are trying to make a living out of this, possibly irrespective of the annoyance that they are providing to others.

Personally I use to believe (up to a very short time ago)in just replacing the receiver on the telephone, but it is now getting to the stage of receiving unsolicited calls, that it is now becoming past the joke stage. If its not calls from claims advisers, who it would appear have been sold your details by an insurance company or other method, then its calls that seemingly cannot be traced, because the number as been withheld. Everyday at our home,between the hours of 9.30am to 8.30pm, not Sundays though, we seem to have a number of messages left on the answer machine if we are not there, or alternatively pre-recorded messages giving instructions, including how to stop these calls. Nothing ever seems to work though, and the nuisance calls still continue!.

A year or so ago, I have a friend who managed to trace the CEO personal details of one of these companies, because he had been constantly 'targeted' by that persons company, and no matter how he tried he just couldn't stop the calls. He then commenced phoning the CEO, only to be warned "that legal action would be taken against him", because the CEO didn't like what my friend was doing. It didn't take long for those 'nuisance' calls from the company to cease, 'after a few discussions'. But isn't it pathetic when you need go to those extremes, in resolving an issue, not of your making?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"If it winds them up....so what, it's a bit of fun."

That's the kind of remark that demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the point.

Nuisance calls are indeed a real irritation, but having 'fun' at the expense of the person you speak to is just plain silly. The individual on the other end of the line in this situation is usually doing the job he or she is being paid to do. The real perpetrators of the scam have no contact with you, and are probably sitting at home relaxing at the time.

Just put the phone down, and get on with something more worthwhile than playing silly games with someone on another continent.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Nah, they know exactly they're doing, and deserve all the crap that comes their way for trying to rip us off.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - you said,Just put the phone down, and get on with something more worthwhile than playing silly games with someone on another continent. That's exactly what you should be saying to the unwanted 'cold callers' from INDIA.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

What I should be doing with the unwanted cold-callers, whether they are in India or anywhere else, is the one thing that works better than anything else - I should ignore them, put the phone down on them and get on with my life, instead of indulging in immature games on the phone with them.

Sensible adults don't get their fun by winding up other people on the phone.

Like this post
alan2273

Likes # 0

The last one who rang me, I was able to keep him on the phone for 24 minutes, then I got bored and Told him I use a Linux distro and I could not interpret his reply, but it did the trick, I have not had any more phone calls from them.

To the Forum editor, yes it may be childish to prat them about, but I am sick of unsolicited phone calls and as we are ex directory, they should not be able to get our phone number let alone inconvenience us with unwanted calls.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...