We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Indian call centres keep calling me and saying I have errors

andy63walsh

Likes # 0

This must be a new scam. An indian call centre calls pretending to be with Windows, they eventually say, get the command Run on the screen, type eventvwr, by then if you keep playing with them they give up!! I get one a day now, can I report them?

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

Tell them you don't own a pc, and hang up. My parents get those calls, and they really don't have a pc. I reckon they pick numbers out of hats, lol!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This is not a new scam, and if you do a search in the PCA archives or internet you may well find many articles on this subject.

They are not from Microsoft, just a company that is trying to scare you in buying an un-necessary service.

If they phone you again, just say that one of their competitors have just resolved all the problems?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That explains the strange call I had the other day. I couldn't really understand the strained accent as there was a hell of a lot of background chatter going on making the accent even harder to follow than usual, in the end I just hung up and gave no more thought of it until now.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

I want to get them, pea them off somehow, might say can you hang on I will get the owner and leave the phone by a speaker. Must be a way to track them? and report them in this day and age?

Like this post
mikef.

Likes # 0

Tell them you are a computer engineer, they hang up like a shot when I say that

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

TRUST ME! hang up like other members have told you too! they are NOT from microsoft! they are scammers..;.

Like this post
FEEBS

Likes # 0

A neighbour of mine was conned into parting with £70 for something she didn't understand. I just tell them to eff off - seems to do the trick

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

I get these calls quite often. Sometimes they're pretending to be Microsoft, other times they reckon they can cut my electricity bill by 44%. It sounds like they're in a crowded pub (obviously a call centre with as many would-be scammers packed into it as possible). I just say, "NO", and hang up. They must successfully scam people, though, or they wouldn't bother to keep making these calls.

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

I've had loads of fun with these folks. Provided you have the time just lead them on and on and on. eg. Tell them to wait while you boot up the comp. (it's already on of course but don't touch it) Just play plain stupid, ask them to repeat everything etc. I've managed to stretch the call out to 15 mins. before I eventually lose patience and tell them I haven't touched the computer and I know it's a scam. They immediately ring off! I lead a sad life!

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

Sorry forgot to say I posted on this a while back enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features