We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So, I suppose the answer to this

HondaMan

Likes # 0

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

What happens if someone dies? Is the account deleted after a period of time?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

HondaMan

I was just browsing the same thread myself and thought that it was a bit unfair as problems like that do happen.

Maybe because he was a first time poster I don't know.

Microsoft are not Blameless as they locked me out of my own computer by adding a new user account to my computer with even asking for permission.

I am sure I had to reformat my computer at the time to be able to use it again just because the new user account wanted a password to start and I had never used one before.

We have others that think it is time to change the password with a little drink in them the cannot remember what they changed it to the next day.

Or kids not knowing what they are doing and changing them.

All different reasons for not remembering their password but they have to get help from somewhere.

There is help on other Forums but there has always been a no help law on here.

I think the FE sort of turns a blind eye now and again when it happens to a Forum member that has been with us for a while as some of us on here are not getting any younger.

I suppose rules are rules but as long as Microsoft keep putting new user accounts on computers without asking we will always have folk wanting to know how to by pass the username that they have never used.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Buteman

"as long as Microsoft keep putting new user accounts on computers without asking"

What exactly are you referring to? I have never experienced this before.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

HondaMan

The thread that you linked to refers to an apparently forgotten Windows password - nothing to do with PCA, if that's what you thought?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

buteman

"Microsoft are not Blameless as they locked me out of my own computer by adding a new user account to my computer with even asking for permission.I suppose rules are rules but as long as Microsoft keep putting new user accounts on computers without asking we will always have folk wanting to know how to by pass the username that they have never used."

Can you explain? I have never once experienced or heard of Microsoft adding a user account to a computer.

The reason we have the rule about not helping people to bypass Windows passwords must surely be obvious. I'm aware that help can be obtained elsewhere, but we have not provided it here since a never-to-be forgotten occasion when someone asked the question and was told how to do it. A week later I received an email from a woman who was furious that we had provided her boyfriend with the means to access her computer. Their relationship was on the rocks, and he had deleted all her personal data files and photographs whilst she was out.

In my working life I have seen many cases of unauthorised computer access by people who knew how to bypass the Windows password. I'm not comfortable about us passing on such knowledge here.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"What happens if someone dies? Is the account deleted after a period of time?"

If you mean a user account here, in the forum, the answer is that unless we were told we wouldn't know if someone had died. The chances are pretty high that over the years some forum members must have died - there's just no way of knowing. People come and go; some who used to post regularly don't do so, but still login and watch the proceedings. Their places are taken by newcomers, and so it goes on - it's what is known as 'churn', and it happens in all web forums.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

D@ve + Forum Editor

Basically this is it.

The aspnet_wp or ASP.NET Machine Account is created when the Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 is installed onto a Windows XP computer. The user is created to run the asp.net worker process used in Microsoft's Internet Information Services, which allows ASP.net to run on your local web server

It puts a new user account on your computer without your knowledge and the next time you reboot it asks for your username and password to open the computer.

As you can see it is for XP users and as I remember I was sort of new on computers in those days and had to reformat the computer because of it.

It did happen a few times after that but I new it was just a matter of deleting the Asp net Account and since then I have never ever put a password on any of my computers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'