We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Saving Files In Microsoft

Condom

Likes # 0

Can anyone explain to me why Microsoft prevent you using so many "symbols and letters" when trying to use them when saving file names. By this I mean the inability to use ?, :, and many other letters. The one I have most problems with is the Question Mark as I often need to use it with song titles.

I'm sure there must be a logical explanation for this after 7 releases of their software but I'm damned if I can think of one.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

You have to remember that Windows isn't the only operating system, filenames have to follow the rules of all the various operating systems to ensure interoperability across systems.

The table on this page should help you out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename#Reservedcharactersand_words

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

It's interesting, I can save files using those symbols in Linux or Unix, so it seems to be a Windows thing. The trouble is if I start using those symbols and send them to my Windows brethren they won't be able to open the files because Windows will probably question the file, even the AV software might start foaming at the mouth. I haven't tried it, anyone want to experiment? I'll send you a file :)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

octal

That's why Windows prevents the use of Unix & MacOS reserved symbols in filenames, so files can be shared across all systems.

I have a feeling that the guys who manage the Linux Kernal are not quite so considerate.

Mind you, I seem to recall that Unix doesn't like spaces in file names, but Windows does allow them, which is why %20% is inserted in the spaces by webservers

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I don't have problems with spaces in file names.

The %20 is just a convention for coding URL's, because 20 the hex coding for a space is unsafe character, so % is inserted as the escape code for inserting 20. It normally happens when someone hasn't saved a web page properly by using a normal space between words, it's just laziness. If an underscore or a dash is used you won't get the %20 in the web address. It has nothing to do with Unix, Linux or Windows, it is just a convention in coding.

This site explains it quite well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad