We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband router suitable for house with concrete ceiling

JayneL

Likes # 0

Please help! We have a netgear wireless box downstairs and a signal booster box upstairs. The signal upstairs keeps dropping out. Could this be due to the fact that we have concrete floors? Should I get a new stronger wireless box? If so, any suggestions?

Ours is a shared house so at least three people at a time are using a computer for watching tv, downloading music, you tube etc. If I paid extra for a faster connection would this make any difference (please excuse my ignorance).

I am not particularly computer literate so any replies in layman's terms would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Paying extra for a faster connection will not help you unless the included router has a more powerful transmitter but if you are already having difficult when using a signal booster I doubt if even that would help. Have you tried using mains wiring transmission? Take a look at these then search around for similar products.

Like this post
JayneL

Likes # 0

Thank you for your response, much appreciated. Does it matter that the main wifi box (ground floor) is on a different electricity meter to the 1st floor (we pay bills separately).

My understanding is that you require at least two homeplugs, one to plug into the wifi box and the other where the signal is weak. The homeplug for the wifi box would need to be an ethernet adapter and the other a wifi one? Am I right?

Is one homeplug situated in the hallway sufficient to serve five rooms (which have fire doors) or does it depend on use?

Like this post
Roadgiant

Likes # 0

I looked into home plugs a few months ago and I don't think it will work on different meters. Did a quick search and found this :- "Would HomePlugs work on different mains circuits in my house (rings) ? Yes, but the rings or circuits (such as upstairs and downstairs) mains must be on the same fuse box / consumer box."

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

JayneL You can probably get your question answered by members of the Solwise Forum Click Here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...